best time/place for DIR-F?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melfox26:
Great to see that a few of us SB'ers will be in the class. My fellow DM will unfortunately not be taking the class with us. He has ordered a new Signature Series DUI that will not be shipped from the factory until 1/20/04, and would like to wait and take Fundamentals in his suit for obvious reasons.

Chris, Brian, Chris' wife, others that are in the class - You guys available for a pre-fundies get-to-know-you dive sometime in January?

Mel
Honestly, I'd say that he might be better taking it before he gets his suit. Serious, the timebomb is ticking for you having more diving experience you have to unlearn how you've been diving.

You'll find that your improvements in your diving after fundies will allow you to incorporate new gear into your diving MUCH easier, such as a new drysuit, or double tanks. I tried to switch to doubles while I was in the process of practiciting up to clear my fundies provisional. However, I found this counter-productive until I got my trim, balance and propulsion under control. Then adding the doubles was a piece of cake. I think that you'd experience the same transition from mastering fundamental skills wet, then going dry.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Tim:

If you do it in Kona I've got 2 additions for you.. Besides, we have the better diving and coffee!! :) End Kona tourism commercial.

I've got business issues that are probably going to keep me from the Monterey class in Jan.

KR's,

Sarah

kidspot:
how bout taking DIR-F in 2005 on the beautiful island of Maui? really . . .no joke . . . I'm trying to find a few folks over here who would like to take it so we can bring Joe Talavera over to teach it - But you might consider a combined vacation and DIR-F. Plus you could get lots of nice shore dives in during your stay and have time to practice what you learn in clear warm water before heading home. I'm at about the same place as you with 27 dives so far and really wanting to take DIR-F myself.
ok - the commercial for the Maui tourism board is over . . .

Aloha, Tim

P.S. I liked Doc's advice - the best time is now - I'm just trying to make "now" come a little faster for myself over here - lol

SunFishSarah:
Tim:

If you do it in Kona I've got 2 additions for you.. Besides, we have the better diving and coffee!! :) End Kona tourism commercial.

I've got business issues that are probably going to keep me from the Monterey class in Jan.

KR's,

Sarah
I've considered Kona, and having only been snorkeling there once, about 18 years ago back in high school, I still remember how incredible the water was . . . captain cook bay.

Kona may end up being my closest option, but I'm still pushing for Maui!

Aloha, Tim

aalbinger:
Hello.

For those of you who have taken DIR-F would you recommend a time/place?

The best time is early in the season. For me, it was the Spring. This way you have the whole summer to practice after the class. As far as the best place - the same environment where you usually dive, and preferably with as local of a GUE Instructor as possible so that you will have a continuous local support on any additional training dives you guys will do together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom