Best used regulators? First stage? Second Stage? What exactly is Conshelf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more slight digression - US Divers was actually the US distributor of Aqualung regulators, and was later bought out by Aqualung. I think they did do some assembly of Aqualung components in California at times rather than buying finished goods, (probably saved some $$ on import taxes,) but pretty sure it was always Aqualung brass or at least Aqualung patents. Perhaps there were some rare exceptions?
René Bussoz: Founder of US Divers

Also, Conshelf was the name of 3 generations of underwater habitats starting in 1962, which appear to have had some tenuous relationship with JYC.
Conshelf I, II & III

I think it is a safe bet that project is the inspiration for the regulator's brand name. I know that the Conshelf VI dates back to 1962, but now I wonder if there were any earlier versions or if they just started in with VI. Alternately, I could see starting with IV and leaving I, II, &III untouched in deference to the underseas habitats.

@reefrat
Or maybe the ultimate Conshelf is a Kirby Morgan superflow (Conshelf adjustable clone) with a VDH LP seat and exhaust valve. I find mine to be a zen like experience- almost like relaxation therapy underwater!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bev was producing his supper flow 20 yeas before VDH was established

sdm

US Divers was actually the US distributor of Aqualung regulators, and was later bought out by Aqualung.

Digging a little deeper: René Bussoz began importing Aqua Lungs made by La Spirotechnique to the US in 1947. He sold them through René's Sporting Goods in Westwood, California. US Divers was founded to make it easier to sell this gear to the US Navy. La Spirotechnique was one of the European dive gear companies that L'Air Liquide owned. Air Liquide purchased US Divers from Bussoz in 1957. All these companies were renamed Aqua Lung decades later. More info: Aqua Lung/La Spirotechnique

@NYCDiverBlue
ten years of diving? Such basic questions !

It is assumed ther are dive operators and qualified instructors in NYC that can assist you
and even have a conshelf to hold.... perhaps test dive?
sdm

@Sam Miller III Yes, such questions as I was certified as a junior diver years ago and haven't dove in 20 years. I am getting re-certified and doing the research to make sure that I have good gear at a good price if I can. Ironically my first reg set was US Diver in 1978 if I remember correctly which I sold to pay for my return ticket from Cozumel to make it to boot camp a few years later.

What is your criteria for best? and what budget? The choice can be very different depends on your answers

@eelnoraa Great questions. Since I am a newbie, my current partially informed criteria for best are this:
  • It doesn't fail and is a "workhorse", "bullet proof" which are some of the terms I have seen in the forum.
  • If it fails, it fails safe and not as some of the auto close first stages that I have read about.
  • Durable which goes to the first point.
  • can be easily serviced and parts are available
  • simple enough design that I could service myself after taking a course/courses.
  • preferably would be able to handle cold water temps of NJ/NY/Monterey/Sweden
  • breaths easily enough for deep dives
Other than that, I don't know what to ask. What are the criteria you would look for?

Regarding budget, I think the first has to be answered and then I know what to search for and what is a great price if found. So I will put a couple of links below of "selected" deals I found on Ebay of items that sold so you can see the price. Were these good deals for what the person paid for them? IF these where great deals, at what price point would they have cease being great deals and would become good or bad deals. From what I currently know which is enough to be dangerous(that is why I am here to be safer), these would all be on the spectrum to really good to great deals. What is the opinion of those here? How much would you pay for the below and still qualify it as a great deal. You answer may be below or above what the person paid for it.

thanks in advance,
Malcolm

Deal 1:
US Divers Conshelf 22 Octo Aqua Lung | eBay

Deal 2 which I was eyeing today.
Scuba Oceanic Omega II, Oceanic Regulator, Oceanic Gauges | eBay

Deal 3
US Divers Aqua-Lung Micra+ W/ Pivot Matrix Dive Computer WORKS TESTED | eBay

Deal 4
US Divers Conshelf Aqua Lung Regulator With Octopus JM Cousteau Data Scan 2 | eBay

Deal 5
US Divers Aqua-Lung Micra+ W/ Pivot Matrix Dive Computer WORKS TESTED | eBay

Deal 6
US DIVERS AQUA-LUNG CONSHELF OCTO PIVOT GAUGE Scuba Diving Regulator | eBay

Deal 7
US DIVERS. AQUA LUNG. OCTO. PIVOT GAUGE Scuba Diving Regulator and owner manual | eBay

Deal 8
U.S. DIVERS 1st & 2nd stage octopus w/ gauge assembly - PRICED 2 SELL | eBay

Oh and I would clearly put this deal which is still available in the category of GREAT deals!!! Unfortunately, I don't live in Lafayette, LA anymore. 2 sets of completely dive-able gear for $75 though I don't see the 2nd reg set from the pics...even without it, seems like a GREAT deal.
Scuba Gear

my current partially informed criteria for best are this:
  • It doesn't fail and is a "workhorse", "bullet proof" which are some of the terms I have seen in the forum.
  • If it fails, it fails safe and not as some of the auto close first stages that I have read about.
  • Durable which goes to the first point.
  • can be easily serviced and parts are available
  • simple enough design that I could service myself after taking a course/courses.
  • preferably would be able to handle cold water temps of NJ/NY/Monterey/Sweden
  • breaths easily enough for deep dives
Oh, you mean the 109/BA!
full?d=1539371521.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom