Best value location for PADI Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far nobody's asked me for AOW cert and (speaking of cans of worms) when they do I'll think about whether doing that particular dive is worth it to me. If you want to get AOW, it's probably better to do it right after OW and getting some sort of a deal on the OW + AOW package. I think I've seen that once or twice in the Caribbean.
That the plan. Thanks.

Does their e-learning not include streaming videos already?
Yes, for eLearning. Delivery of video content for paper products is the question. More and more people do not have a device to play a DVD.

I’d recommend SDI. That’s where all my classes have been. Instructors are allowed to gear things more individually to students. E-learning is pretty good. Something to note: you can go back and forth at the recreational level, not really at tech level. If you pick a tech path, it seems people tend to stay with it, as classes build upon each other. Each agency has its own sequence. You can’t go back and forth between TDI and PADI, for example. As far as I can tell, PADI jumped on the tech band wagon when they saw it was profitable to do so.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Just to be clear, I am not a PADI instructor. I concentrate on trim, buoyancy and propulsion like few instructors and I usually certify through NASE. Just to be clear.

My goals are to be technically proficient and rise to advanced open water, at a minimum. So, you'd recommend SSI over other agencies? How do they differ from PADI and others?

I'm not going to recommend any particular agency. I will point out, that while I don't teach for them, I think RAID has the best minimum program due to their objective standards and requirement that students be neutrally buoyant and trim when performing skills. That way of teaching isn't exclusive to RAID of course, but that is the only non-DIR agency that mandates it. Everyone else, it is a suggestion. SSI just has really impressive online content.

While the skills you learn are basically the same for all agencies, the framework of each is different. Some will say it is no big deal. From my end, I see a big difference when teaching.

Jim already gave a list that he provides his book. I cannot emphasize enough how important reading his first book will be to finding the right instructor for you. Personality and style are important factors when choosing an instructor. I will also emphasize the importance of low ratios (if you are sitting there with one instructor and 7 other students, you won't get as much personalized attention). 1:4 should be the absolutely max you should accept and they should include an assistant. I personally prefer 1:2.

Honestly, I'd recommend first reading Jim's book, check out Harry Averill's website (cavediverharry.com). I'd also look at YouTube for videos from RAID and UTD instructors for basic open water. If you are on Facebook, look up Ryan Custureri. He's a top notch instructor who is generous with his knowledge. He has helped my teaching in a big way. Look at what he does (he's based in Ft. Lauderdale).

So I'd hold off on signing up for a class until you've read a bit and watched some open water videos to see what is possible.

Oh, and if you go through the PADI system, I'd recommend not taking AOW by itself (5 elective dives including navigation and deep), but rather achieve it through taking classes from challenging instructors. You would start with navigation and two other electives. Then you would be an adventure diver and can take the deep course. Your fifth course will qualify you as AOW. Personally, I recommend skills courses in your pursuit of AOW certification. Through in rescue (again, find a challenging instructor), and you'll be at MSD.

Interview potential instructors. I cannot emphasize the importance of this. For your AOW, talk to your instructor(s) on how one course can build upon a previous one. I'm personally against buoyancy courses (PPB in PADI) as a lot of that should be covered in open water. I am a proponent of buoyancy courses if they are very challenging (like GUE fundies).

I'm not going to recommend any particular agency. I will point out, that while I don't teach for them, I think RAID has the best minimum program due to their objective standards and requirement that students be neutrally buoyant and trim when performing skills. That way of teaching isn't exclusive to RAID of course, but that is the only non-DIR agency that mandates it. Everyone else, it is a suggestion. SSI just has really impressive online content.

While the skills you learn are basically the same for all agencies, the framework of each is different. Some will say it is no big deal. From my end, I see a big difference when teaching.

Jim already gave a list that he provides his book. I cannot emphasize enough how important reading his first book will be to finding the right instructor for you. Personality and style are important factors when choosing an instructor. I will also emphasize the importance of low ratios (if you are sitting there with one instructor and 7 other students, you won't get as much personalized attention). 1:4 should be the absolutely max you should accept and they should include an assistant. I personally prefer 1:2.

Honestly, I'd recommend first reading Jim's book, check out Harry Averill's website (cavediverharry.com). I'd also look at YouTube for videos from RAID and UTD instructors for basic open water. If you are on Facebook, look up Ryan Custureri. He's a top notch instructor who is generous with his knowledge. He has helped my teaching in a big way. Look at what he does (he's based in Ft. Lauderdale).

So I'd hold off on signing up for a class until you've read a bit and watched some open water videos to see what is possible.

Oh, and if you go through the PADI system, I'd recommend not taking AOW by itself (5 elective dives including navigation and deep), but rather achieve it through taking classes from challenging instructors. You would start with navigation and two other electives. Then you would be an adventure diver and can take the deep course. Your fifth course will qualify you as AOW. Personally, I recommend skills courses in your pursuit of AOW certification. Through in rescue (again, find a challenging instructor), and you'll be at MSD.

Interview potential instructors. I cannot emphasize the importance of this. For your AOW, talk to your instructor(s) on how one course can build upon a previous one. I'm personally against buoyancy courses (PPB in PADI) as a lot of that should be covered in open water. I am a proponent of buoyancy courses if they are very challenging (like GUE fundies).

Excellent advice and I'm heeding it. Class sign up on hold. If you ever get to Sandpoint, Sagle borders it at the long bridge, I'm buy'in the first couple. That goes for all you other reprobates... Nah, seriously thanks so much for all of your outstanding (highest military OER, Officer Efficiency Report rating) help. I have a lot to learn. Also, we have the best ski area in the PNW, Book Your Family Ski Resort Vacation to Schweitzer Mountain - Idaho I hope I don't get in trouble with the mods, but from my experience it's quite challenging to scuba on a mountain 6400 above sea level.

I'm about to head to work, so I had to skim through these posts... with that I'd add my vote to the Key Largo line.

Key Largo is good for beginners for several reasons...

1. Shallow, hard bottom with little/ no current... The reef is in the 20-40+ foot depth range...

2. U.S. Soil... good should you need to use your insurance... I'd take my insurance in the U.S. over any rider/ policy in a different country. With that DAN Insurance is a good idea, no matter where you travel, but especially if you leave the country, IMO...

3. Native English speakers, remember you'll be learning from, and communicating with the instructor A LOT.

4. Ample Dive Shops (this is nice if you opt to buy your own gear)... I recall a recent thread of a diver looking for fins (maybe it was a mask) in Cozumel... There were a few recommendations for a place that might be able to help, but for such a dive destination I'm surprised there wasn't one 'go to place' to get what you need. Being a new diver you might find your mask doesn't fit well, or you want a shorter hose on your primary, or a different mouth piece. It'd be nice to have a week or two to get your set up dialed in for reasonable comfort before you head out to some far flung destination...

5. It's pretty cheap, fly to one of several S. Florida airports, rent a car, and in a few hours you're in Key Largo. Hotels are reasonable (~$100+ night), food can be reasonable (grocery shopping, SubWay, etc.), or expensive if you chose. Additional dives are pretty reasonable too, around $30-$40 per tank...

6. If you can fit it in, hit Blue Heron Bridge, a few hours drive north of key Largo... Ranked as one of the best dives in the country... I haven't made it there yet, but I'll be blowing bubbles under the bridge in a few weeks time :)...

With that, I'd recommend Rainbow Reef. It's the only dive shop I've used in K.L., but they've been great.

I'm about to head to work, so I had to skim through these posts... with that I'd add my vote to the Key Largo line.

Key Largo is good for beginners for several reasons...

1. Shallow, hard bottom with little/ no current... The reef is in the 20-40+ foot depth range...

2. U.S. Soil... good should you need to use your insurance... I'd take my insurance in the U.S. over any rider/ policy in a different country. With that DAN Insurance is a good idea, no matter where you travel, but especially if you leave the country, IMO...

3. Native English speakers, remember you'll be learning from, and communicating with the instructor A LOT.

4. Ample Dive Shops (this is nice if you opt to buy your own gear)... I recall a recent thread of a diver looking for fins (maybe it was a mask) in Cozumel... There were a few recommendations for a place that might be able to help, but for such a dive destination I'm surprised there wasn't one 'go to place' to get what you need. Being a new diver you might find your mask doesn't fit well, or you want a shorter hose on your primary, or a different mouth piece. It'd be nice to have a week or two to get your set up dialed in for reasonable comfort before you head out to some far flung destination...

5. It's pretty cheap, fly to one of several S. Florida airports, rent a car, and in a few hours you're in Key Largo. Hotels are reasonable (~$100+ night), food can be reasonable (grocery shopping, SubWay, etc.), or expensive if you chose. Additional dives are pretty reasonable too, around $30-$40 per tank...

6. If you can fit it in, hit Blue Heron Bridge, a few hours drive north of key Largo... Ranked as one of the best dives in the country... I haven't made it there yet, but I'll be blowing bubbles under the bridge in a few weeks time :)...

With that, I'd recommend Rainbow Reef. It's the only dive shop I've used in K.L., but they've been great.
Very solid recommendation. Much obliged. Thanks.

Ok, here goes.

People have mentioned Cozumel as a possible destination - have you considered Cancun?
Shallow dives with a wee bit of surge and for me less stressful than Coz.
Coz dives tend to be deeper and to be perfectly frank frequented by people whose skill level often does not match the dive conditions.

Since Coz has been mentioned ie as a travel destination I am going to give you an alternative to consider.

Red Sea Egypt

Apart from the good weather, a relatively small advantage is that you will be exposed to divers from outside the US - this might be an education in itself (good or bad :) )

You can do your OW there and while there you could get your AOW done after a couple of fun dives (I recommend you do AOW as soon as you can after OW. I think you'll get more out of the course that way). Like Coz, there are divers doing dives that they shouldn't be doing but having said that I think Egypt can offer good diving whether deep or shallow and I think it's a more interesting dive location than Coz. I'm speaking specifically of Hurghada / Marsa Alam as comparisons to Coz.

Anyway I hope that provides more food for thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom