Best way to bungee /attach an smb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rab1412000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently changed my bcd to an oms iq pack. I used to stow my preassembled smb and reel in my bcd pocket.
I can still stow my reel in my left waist weight pocket which I never use.
I'm using a 6 foot orca sausage and I'd want to attach it to a d ring in the lower left of the bcd. I've seen videos of bungees and snap bolts used for this purpose.
What would be the best and most secure way of attaching it to the harness? I don't want it falling off during boat entries or flapping around in a current.
Use will be strictly for surface signaling and safety stops.

Sent from a Galaxy far, far away

Here's one way... if using a larger DSMB and conventional reel (not spool):

Another version:

If you stow it on a frontal D-ring, then it will become a 'dangly'. You could opt to stow it on a D-ring at the back of the IQ pack - this is where many tech/cave/wreck divers stow their spools and bags. It won't dangle below you from there or get in your way, but remains equally accessible.

Did you catch this thread, I realise not exactly what you're asking but might get some ideas.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...late-has-anyone-used-one-those-mesh-bags.html

Thanks I'm getting some good ideas from that thread but opted for something similar to what Devon diver posted. I didn't attach the spool though as I have this persistent fear that it may become undone during currents and whatnot. I'll keep it in my spare weight pocket

Some SMBs stayed bungeed, but many do not. I sewed up a number of mesh bags to hold mine and they work well.

Some SMBs stayed bungeed, but many do not. I sewed up a number of mesh bags to hold mine and they work well.

Yup I'm still thinking a bungeed smb can get loose from a giant stride entry and maybe also heavy currents. I'll consider looking into mesh bags for this and the spool. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom