Best Wrist watch style computer??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamp69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hey guys. looking to purchase a new watch style computer. i want one that i can wear between dives comfortably. don't want to cheap out, but dont want to spend a fortune either...lol. right now i'm not doing anything too fancy, but would love a computer that can do pretty much anything i will need it to. I love the look of the oceanic computers. does anyone have any info they wanna throw in here. thanks

Would you consider getting a nice, stylish watch and a great dive computer, or does it have to be one thing for both purposes?

SubGravity H3. Although might be a bit pricey compared to what you're looking to spend. Will definitely do all you need it to. I wear mine some as a watch while on trips.

There are a lot of great computers out there, but it really depends on what you mean by need it to do. The oceanic computers are great, but are little help with deco. All of the computers come with features intended for a certain market. If you are looking for one that will be a general computer for non deco diving there are lots out there that are good systems. Oceanic, sub gravity, shearwater, diverite all make good computers just depends on what features are useful to you and the diving you do. Your best bet is go out with local divers around you, look at what computers they have and find out why. This will leave you much happier when you make your decision, plus you will likely find some one who can show you the ins and outs of that computer. I see people all the time who have a high end computer on their wrist with no idea how to use it. If you get really lucky some one may have a spare that you can take on a dive and see if it is one you like or not.

The probability of misplacing either one of them(computer and watch) is lower. But if you do lose it then you lose everything.
I prefer two separated items personally.

Oceanic GEO 2 for $250.00 at Leisurepro could fit the bill. And don't forget the gauge protector for $4.00 extra.
I am using a Veo 180 as a back up and it is fine.

SubGravity / Seabear H3 (Now Scubapro). Small, stylish and powerful enough for any kind of diving. There are promisses that it will come Air integrated soon, if you care.

The probability of misplacing either one of them(computer and watch) is lower. But if you do lose it then you lose everything.
I prefer two separated items personally.

Oceanic GEO 2 for $250.00 at Leisurepro could fit the bill. And don't forget the gauge protector for $4.00 extra.
I am using a Veo 180 as a back up and it is fine.

I wear a Geo 2 for backup, too big for an everyday watch for me, but might be fine for others.

Have you looked at any of the Suunto "D" series computers (D4i, D6i, DX, etc)? These are "wristwatch" sized and you may be able to get some good pricing on them. Stores that carry the Aqualung line may have computers in inventory they are willing to discount since Aqualung and Suunto parted ways on 1/1/2016.

I guess it all depends on what you want. If you want a watch that can look the part, the Seabear H3 is really the only one that will do it and not be thoroughly obnoxious in diving like the Suunto's are. The rest have casio style screens which are not common anymore and look kind of dated. They are also more expensive than the H3 and offer nothing other than AI more. Not really worth looking at.
The H3 isn't my favorite computer out there, but if you're spending real money on a computer and you want it to function as a watch as well, then the H3 makes most sense. Has a screen that looks like the "smart watches" on the market, also has compass and altimeter that you can use while hiking or in other outdoor activities etc.

I really never understood this.

Of course it's personal preference, and I guess some people just like wearing the same thing underwater that they do to the bar at night, and there is no counter argument to that.

But from my perspective, all of the things that make something a nice, stylish watch to wear out to dinner, make a dive computer harder to read, more expensive, harder to operate, and limit the amount of data presented at any one time.

So for the price of one of these expensive hybrids, you can have an excellent dive computer (like a Petrel) and a slick watch. When I buy a BC, I don't worry about whether or not I can also wear it as a dinner jacket...

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom