Beware: premature Suunto D4 Strap failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How old are those bands?
I've had my D4 for...two years now and ithere are no cracks. I did just send it in for a battery replacement though and asked for a new strap. At least the straps are outlasting the batteries so it'll just be a routine maintenance issue.

that's a known and common failure point an most straps. It's why I use bungee for any kind of mount.

So it's less that 2 years old and i'm on my 3rd strap!

The little strap loop fell off the other day, so i thought i'd be clever and buy a spare strap kit... which i got stung 111NZD for! :-(
But when i got the new strap, i looked at the strap on the watch, only to find that it was cracked in 3 places!!! 1 on the long strap and 2 on the short strap!

So now i have the new strap fitted.

This is costing me a fortune!!!

One thing that has been mentioned is that mozzie repellents might eat the elastomer. But i'd used them very rarely with the first strap.
I also don't use nasty soaps n stuff when showering, Water's good enough. So it isn't that either.
And i've spent the last year in NZ, not wearing mozzie stuff or sunscreen at all...

So no mozzie stuff, no soaps, no sunscreen, nothing... And it's all cracked up and about to fail... :-/

Does the elastomer just not like the natural oils from the skin???

This is a joke.

So beware people. Check your strap regularly for the cracks/breaks.

that's a known and common failure point an most straps. It's why I use bungee for any kind of mount.
But breaking in only 11 or 12 months of wearing? I'd expect a bit longer life personally...
Yeah, But Suunto give us no option other than their sh... shockingly bad straps. :-(

---------- Post added April 4th, 2012 at 07:38 AM ----------

How old are those bands?
I've had my D4 for...two years now and ithere are no cracks. I did just send it in for a battery replacement though and asked for a new strap. At least the straps are outlasting the batteries so it'll just be a routine maintenance issue.
They're under 12 months old... but of constant 24/7 wearing. (they break in January/February each year...)
Do you take yours off?
I'm guessing that if i only wore it diving, like you'd do with a Zoop, then the straps would last ages...
But they're obviously design not to like natural skin oils perhaps... Which is odd for a watch strap :-(

the proof was on your wrist. :D

But breaking in only 11 or 12 months of wearing? I'd expect a bit longer life personally...
Yeah, But Suunto give us no option other than their sh... shockingly bad straps. :-(

---------- Post added April 4th, 2012 at 07:38 AM ----------

They're under 12 months old... but of constant 24/7 wearing. (they break in January/February each year...)
Do you take yours off?
I'm guessing that if i only wore it diving, like you'd do with a Zoop, then the straps would last ages...
But they're obviously design not to like natural skin oils perhaps... Which is odd for a watch strap :-(

What do you want them to do, replace it with another POS strap? Bungee the thing and move on with your life.

the proof was on your wrist. :D

What do you want them to do, replace it with another POS strap? Bungee the thing and move on with your life.
Would love to... But how?
This is the problem. We're stuck with the POS straps being the only straps that fit, due to Suunto's propriety, totally non-standard, inside-out strap attachment...
(i have bungies on everything else)

I can take some pictures of mine, but I can explain it also.

Cut the straps off then drill 4 holes in the thick part of the "boot." Then run bungee cord through the 4 new holes. to make straps. I use 2 separate bungee cords so if one breaks or it gets ripped off, you still have one to hold the computer.

Would love to... But how?
This is the problem. We're stuck with the POS straps being the only straps that fit, due to Suunto's propriety, totally non-standard, inside-out strap attachment...
(i have bungies on everything else)

How old are those bands?

Mine is also two years old , I just changed the battery and the strap is still in great condition . I wash in a light soap after every ocean dive .

Don't forget that this is a day-to-day watch that is also a dive computer... that's what it's marketed as, that's how i wear it... I.e. All the time.
So sticking bungee cord or nylon thru it might be functionally great... it's not gonna be too good for the 22 hours a day i'm not in the water...

---------- Post added April 4th, 2012 at 10:34 AM ----------

Mine is also two years old , I just changed the battery and the strap is still in great condition . I wash in a light soap after every ocean dive .
Do you wear it 24/7? Or just when diving?

Do you wear it 24/7? Or just when diving?

I just wear it diving (8-10 hours per week total. 4-6 in the water). Then give it a fresh water rinse and hang it up with my other gear. .

Back
Top Bottom