Bio Filter question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eskasi

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there....I bought a bio filter online and have to assemble it myself....no LDS for hundreds of miles (or in this country).

Just a simple screw onto the first stage and screw on the 2nd? Should I wait to do this on my next dive trip at their dive shop?

I am also wondering where in the world one gets DISTILLED water on vacation? Where I live, the water has a lot of calcium. Even much of the bottled water is heavy in calcium.

Must I really search for quality distilled water when I am vacationing or will a name brand bottled water do the trick? I bought an extra wick anyway in case.

Ok...found the instructions online....easy enough!

After installation, is the filter still able to turn/twist with a little pressure on the first stage?

Eskasi:
Ok...found the instructions online....easy enough!

After installation, is the filter still able to turn/twist with a little pressure on the first stage?

There is actually a little plastic device (looks like an old-fashioned nit cracker) that comes with the Bio Filter that you can use to unscrew the Bio Filter if using your fingers does not work.

If you did not get one with your unit you should send an email to Apollo Sports USA requesting one.

Very simple to do as I see you have found out. The instructions are a bit "Asian" but you figure it out pretty fast. They do need to provide better literature with these IMHO.

Don't worry about the distilled water. You will run through filters faster but not so fast that it becomes a real problem.

Thanks for the replies. I just need to know one last thing though....the whole biofilter unit...is it able to rotate at the part which is connected to the 1st stage?

I followed the instructions and tightened it to the first stage as told....but after doing so, the whole unit still seems to be able to swivel or turn around if I grab the filter and turn it in a clockwise or anticlockwise motion.....is this normal?

Eskasi:

Sorry for the delay in replying. As mentioned by others you do not need to use distilled water. A good bottled water should do find. Just examine your filter and replace when it becomes discolored. The bio-filter will remove trace elements of compressor oil and any other particulates in your breathing gas.

Complete schematics and installation manuals in english are @:
www.apollosportsusa.com/Service/Manuals.htm

The bio-filter should be installed tight enough to be firmly seated in the first stage 5.16 foot lbs/7 Newton meters. If you do not have a torque wrench tighten until snug, do not overtighten.

Your bio-filter will rehumidfy your breathing gas and help prevent sinus headaches, dry mouth and aid in keeping your lungs moist throughout your dive.

Best wishes for lots of safe diving.

mdb:
Eskasi:

Sorry for the delay in replying. As mentioned by others you do not need to use distilled water. A good bottled water should do find. Just examine your filter and replace when it becomes discolored. The bio-filter will remove trace elements of compressor oil and any other particulates in your breathing gas.

Complete schematics and installation manuals in English are @:
www.apollosportsusa.com/Service/Manuals.htm

The bio-filter should be installed tight enough to be firmly seated in the first stage 5.16 foot lbs/7 Newton meters. If you do not have a torque wrench tighten until snug, do not over tighten.

Your bio-filter will rehumidfy your breathing gas and help prevent sinus headaches, dry mouth and aid in keeping your lungs moist throughout your dive.

Best wishes for lots of safe diving.

Shouldn't Ekasi have received the little plastic tool for unscrewing the end of the Bio-Filter in the box with his Bio-Filter.

The reason I asked is that I own three Bio Filters (wife, daughter and I) and one of them was missing the plastic "wrench" while the other two it in the box. All three Bio Filters were brand new.

I called and you staff sent one out to me at no charge. I was just wondering if Ekasi was missing one from his kit as well (based on his question about opening the filter if it is too tight to do by hand).

ronbeau: Yep, Ekasi could be missing the clamp wrench. We will get one out to him @ N/C if he needs it. Thanks for your comment

Hi thanks guys and ronbeau for your concern and help! :D

I did get the plastic wrench...all seems ok..I did as told and tighted the unit to the first stage using the supplied L-shaped hex screwdriver supplied as well.....seems tight....however, like I said....the bio filter can still twist around where it connects to the first stage with a little bit of pressure....twisting it does not seem to loosen the connection to the first stage and I suppose its meant to be like that as part of the impact absorbing mechanism?

Eskasi: Sounds as if you are good to go. The Ball joint fitting on the first stage side of the bio-filter is designed to absorb impact and it will have some "play" and movement. Enjoy your diving.

Back
Top Bottom