Black skirt mask owners, quick question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Leisurepro accidentally sent me a Cressi Big Eye with a black skirt instead of a clear one. I honestly think the mask looks nice regardless, but to all of you who dive with a black-skirt mask, is the whole "tunnel vision/claustrophobic" feeling common?
I purchased the mask used and saved $10 but would like to know if it's worth the trouble of sending it back and waiting another 2 weeks before receiving another mask.

I have had both black and clear and never had an issue.

No issue here either

It's not an issue unless you're already claustrophobic.
And when the sun's shining hard during the surface swim, it's nice to be able to turn your head and shade your eyes. With a clear mask, you get glare all around. It's especially bad when you're shallow, looking into a crevice or under a rock. Can't see into the darkness without poking your head in, which isn't fun when you come face to face with an lobster. Black mask will solve that issue, you'll see whats in, before you go sticking your head where it don't belong.

I prefer black ones. I'm not bothered by spurious light signals.

I use the same mask (Cressi Big Eyes). I bought both clear and black skirt versions. Much prefer the black skirt - I prefer the 'focus' it gives. Ambient light entering from the sides does nothing to improve field of vision, but I find it a distraction, especially when using a camera.

I have had both and prefer black. The clear some like but its only a psychological thing, there is no extra usefull light entering the mask and in fact the additional light entering the sides is a distraction

I prefer black and I really like the Big Eyes, too.

I'd keep it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks everyone, I'll hold onto the one Leisurepro sent over!

Hi there.
For recreational diving it really doesn't matter. What I think is that clear masks are more fancy and to take pictures of your face underwater looks nice (I don't really know how important this is for you).
Black skirted masks are the most common choice by freedivers, spearfishers, tech divers and photographers, this is usualy because the black skirt avoids reflexions on the inside part of the glass and you can better spot what you have in front of you.

I would keep the black one.

Back
Top Bottom