Black skirt mask owners, quick question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the input :]. I do plan on getting into underwater photography (well I guess you could call it filmography).

My latest has a black skirt and it has been a positive change. Not only does it stay looking as good as new there are less distractions.

I use a black skirt mask because it doesn't let light in the sides which can be annoying in the bright shallows, when taking photos and night diving when others are shinning their lights in all directions, they also look cooler, like a dive ninja:cool2:

Last edited:
I started with a clear mask and now I like the my black mask much better.

I really cant say I notice much difference between "clear" and black skirts.. The "clear" ones isnt exactly optical grade glass that lets through all the sun or let you look out through it..

I DO like my black mask better, but thats because its just a better mask, with a better skirt and a better fit..

+1 on the Black skirt! Less distractions. You will get used to it really quickly.

I love the Hog "Tech" Mask for these reasons. Low volume, black shirt, insanely easy to adjust mask strap. That last one is way better then other masks I've owned and it's great for the kids in the pool. They don't bug me anymore asking for help.

That and the fact they were < $20 on Black Friday made it a no brainer....

I also use a Cressi Big Eyes mask, with a black skirt.

Black is preferable, because people can't see the contents of your snot locker. :wink:

... a black skirt....Not only does it stay looking as good as new...

That's another factor. Most clear skirt masks discolor over time...turning yellowish. Hit a diesel slick on the surface and the clear mask can go bright 'toxic' orange color. Black doesn't show the mold and discoloration.

My black Cressi Big Eyes is more than a decade old... still looks fine. My clear skirt Big Eyes hardly got any use (a reserve only) but looks crappy... it's now relegated to 'black mask' duties for my wreck courses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom