Blade or Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a22shady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am sure this topic has been discussed once or twice. But i am getting so many Mixed reviews. I Currently have the Turtle Fins. and they seem to be good no real issues i did a pretty long dive or well i should say my longest dive No Cramps got a little tired but nothing abnormal. I am new to diving but my LDS recomend these said that these are the best choice as most divers use them. All my diving so far has been in PA "Dutch Springs" and NJ is where I live so some east coast diving will be done eventually this is where 99% of my diving will be done. I have been contemplating on getting a Pair of Atomic Split Fins. My LDS said i would most likely be wasting my money but they would be more then happy to sell them to me. Just would like some others opinons is it worth to get them or Just use and stick with what i got. Thanks for your help

Turtle Fins are very nice. What don't you like about them?

I like them no issues as of yet. I just keep reading how great those fins are in the magazines and tests and some reviews so was just wondering if its worth it to buy a pair or if its all just alot of hype. I talked to my LDS and almost all of them have blade Fins most use the turtles or XS Scuba which are the same pretty much. They said they recomend to stick with what i ot that they used them and the fins didnt do anything for them

Unfortunately it boils down to you being a new diver and haven't had a lot of exposure to equipment.

Despite what you may read on here most of the gear is personal choice. Sure there are 101 different ways to configure your gear, you'll get testimonials swearing by this reg, or that one. Bottom line is YOU don't know....

Almost every single head-to-head competition I've seen in nearly every scuba magazine split fins outperform the rest....from what I've seen. I'm sure there will be plenty of 'nay-sayer's' after I post this but that's the blessing and curse to your question.

It is a personal choice. If it helps any, I use Oceanic V-12 fins (split fins). I thought when I changed from my old honk'n huge fins I'd loose propulsion and I didn't really. Different kick style, but I gained a ton of maneuverability.

Good luck filtering thru the advice, I was in your shoes years ago and it's not easy.

You might want to search out this same topic that has been discussed to death in other threads.

I love my split fins for comfort and ease on the knees and hips. But if the currents are ripping, you may want to use a more traditional fin. The new slingshot style is something to explore but maybe someone could their comments on that issue.

I like them no issues as of yet. I just keep reading how great those fins are in the magazines and tests and some reviews so was just wondering if its worth it to buy a pair or if its all just alot of hype. I talked to my LDS and almost all of them have blade Fins most use the turtles or XS Scuba which are the same pretty much. They said they recomend to stick with what i ot that they used them and the fins didnt do anything for them

Your lucky starting out with the fins you have now. I have a closet full of fins before I found the OMS slipstreams (turtle design). I dove with a group not to long ago in a very strong current and most had splits. It was funny that everyone was on the boat bitching about how hard it was. I also dive at Dutch and do 1 hour to 2 hour dives. After the dive I'm tired but no more then using other fins.

Right tool for the right job. Do you do frog kicks or flutter kicks? Splits are generally better for flutter kicks. Is it worth buying new fins? Probably not.

Turtles also are great for drysuit diving as they have huge foot pockets. That would probably explain the popularity out there...

Can you try before you buy? That's the best solution...

BTW, nothing beats a scooter!!!! ...who needs fins????

Good luck on this one. Do a search an you'll find it is the subject of many a long, long thread.

I started off in split fins and I'm currently in the OMS Slipstreams. Similar to you Turtle fins, but different material.

I switched to the paddle fin because I found I liked the frog kick. It doesn't kick up the bottom in the local quarries like the flutter kick does.

The split fins really didn't do that well with the frog kick.

I would see if you could borrow someones fins at the quarry and give them a whirl!

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom