Boat crew setting kit up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was fine with boat crews setting up my gear until a crew from Prodive in Cozumel set up my kit at the far end of the row of tank holders. Of course it was poorly located and snapped free when the boat hit the first big wave and sheered the power inflator hose off at the first stage cleanly when it fell to the deck floor. It was slightly lucky my entire first stage wasn't destroyed.

When I dive in the Philippines...... I also expect a hot drink (on multiple dives) or a cold beer after I get off the boat. If there happens to be a "welcoming committee" on the floating bar when the boat comes in, so much the better!
That remind me of Johan in Subic Bay!!!

do not touch my gear without my permission

Don't touch my gear... If your concerned about safety before I enter then ask to see PSI and power inflate my wing. Beyond that leave me alone

Certainly most people in this forum are going to want to set up their own gear. Once a year divers don't hang out here.
I dive once or twice a year in the Caribbean or other warm-water location. I come to ScubaBoard frequently because there's much to learn here. I am not strong enough to set up my gear. I cannot lift a tank, much less a full kit with weights in the pockets. I own my own gear because, in spite of the hassle for travel, I trust it more, and I am familiar with it. But I cannot fasten the clamp. It's just too hard.

When full service is offered I accept it gladly. If not, I ask a crew member to help me position the BC on the tank, and then I hold it in place while he fastens the clamp. I can do the rest. In either case I check everything. I ask my buddy or a crew member to visually examine before I stand up, I check my pressure, I check my valve, I inflate my BC, and before I step or roll in I take two full breaths.

I'm just not strong enough to set up my gear all by myself. Should I not be diving? Perhaps. But diving is a buddy sport, and I have no qualms asking for help with the heavy lifting, the clamp, and even zipping and unzipping my wet suit. But I always check my reg and my pressure myself.

Those who don't want to or can't set up their own gear...likely aren't the types to be reading and participating is this forum... Just a thought. (Physical disabilities are the exception.)

My daughter and I were in Fiji last year. They set up your gear at this resort for the first tank and the secound one. On one dive we checked our gear. the usual items took a breath off of our regs. etc. We get in the water all is fine when we get down to about 30 ft. or so her reg starts to breath hard. She switches to her back up same issue. She comes over to me and takes my Octo. I check here tank valve. It was not open all the way. Surface was fine but not at depth. Moral of the story really check your gear over! I stayed at another resort the second week and there we all set up our tanks when we got on board. Smaller operation.

Life support equipment (like a parachute) is best set up by the person who trusts it with his or her life. Sunday Divers who don't care about who sets it up or who even want it set up by a stranger should think twice about their lax attitude.

I remember an incident where a crew member at the gate checked every diver's tank valve as the diver got ready to jump in. That's how mine got closed!

Always, always set up my own gear. That is something I specifically ask about when choosing an operator.

The better operators fully understand this and expect you to do this. It helps them to assess your skill level as well. If you dive long enough with one outfit and get to talk to them they will tell you that. The crew setting up gear is mostly done by outfits catering to beginners or mostly frequented by an US clientele. Maybe a bit of a broad generalization, but I have seen many Americans expect that and the boat crews also adjust to that because they want to earn their tips.

The fault is clearly with the training agencies. That should simply be a huge no no, just like having somebody else pack your parachute. Those who cannot set up their own gear are simply not fit to dive, IMHO. Seen it too often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom