Boat crew setting kit up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boat crew setting kit up

I am currently working in a dive centre in the Philippines..

We are in the middle of a debate with the owner about divers expectations differing with my and my instructor partner about having boat crew set up dive kit.

The boat crew we use are not divers and they have no training in kit set up..they are primarily boat crew/ fishermen and Butanding interaction crew.

They have training of how to get divers in and out of the water, positioning of the boat for pick ups, some safety training, and also the basics of how to handle kit.

Now I am of the mind set that if I am going to dive with the kit, I should be the one setting it up. My partner thinks the same and most of our British divers friends think the same also.

Most of the guests we get through, despite us briefing them that the boat crew will help them, but not to let them set up the kit, just sit back and let them do it and worse than that, then proceed to dive without ever checking the kit. We have had numerous instances of divers entering the water with tanks turned off, tanks falling out etc.

The owner thinks that to give good customer service we should train the crew to set up kit. My partner and I think that, from a safety point of view, divers should set up their own kit.

One of our main dive sites is Manta bowl where the surface conditions are often very poor and the current rips through...the consequences of not having properly set up kit there are really rather severe, something which the guests are briefed about but most chose to ignore.

Also is having ones kit set up by crew lazy, or just what guests expect these days?..it seems we have a lot of guests who are almost literally unable to set their kit up which sometimes leads us to wonder how well they know how to use it..

Interested in comments please..

Thanks
Jo

Don't like other people setting up my gear. Having said that, I'm not averse to setting up certain guests equipment between dives, usually when they are a small group (and usually when they are relaxing and I'm a bit bored). Afterwards, I always inform them I've swapped their cylinders, to do their usual checks and make sure they're happy with the height of the BCD band. Everyone should do a predive safety check before jumping and anyone who says "you forgot to turn my air on" is admitting they didn't. I'd have no sympathy or guilt over such an incident (not that it has ever occurred to me - touch wood).

If these are certified divers they should set up there own kits. And simple they can conduct a dive buddy check prior to entering the water. If they are not certified. The instructors or DM must set they're gear up and give them a demonstration on how to use it.

If customer service is your top priority? set up the gear for all your customers and give them a brief review.

Have fun!!!

As a dive guide, most of my customers use nitrox so they have to test.comfirm & sign for their tanks. All I do is make sure the right tank gets to the with right equipment in the assigned seat. That's the first dive,everyone sets up their own kit. During the surface interval I usually replace all tanks & assemble all equipment while to customers are snorkeling or eating lunch. Sometimes divers want to do their own which is fine as long as they retrieve their assigned tank. Whether air or nitrox ALL tanks are assigned. I find most divers trust this near 60 year old dive master, besides a buddy check IS required on every dive on my boat. Convinence & time are always a factor on vacation.
Dive safe,have fun!

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

As a dive guide, most of my customers use nitrox so they have to test.comfirm & sign for their tanks. All I do is make sure the right tank gets to the with right equipment in the assigned seat. Convinence & time are always a factor on vacation.
Dive safe,have fun!

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

KT, I'd refer to dive safe by checking my tank contents and also assembling my own gear. Convenience doesn't factor in for me.

Never an issue with me!
Because I will check it afterwards.

You will be surprised how imcompetent/lazy some certified divers can be. Integrated weight system is the way to go for them because one less item to carry. Mask, fins and camera are the absolute limit!!

The crew here in Cozumel loved to set up our tanks... they truly thought they were helping. They were often surprised when I took things off to re-route them my way. In fact, I had one of the dive masters start setting up his tank in almost the same way by the afternoon dive. I was "OK" with the experience, though I made sure of the proper configuration before each dive.

i think that evryone should set up their own equitment because after all it is THEIR life and therfore their responsibility. if someone was to set up my equitment for me (which i wouldnt let them) i would always check it myself.

Back away from my kit! :wink:

I don't like other people setting up my kit. I feel if I don't set it up myself, I can't be sure that it is ok. I might miss something when I check it if it is allready set up

I'll echo most people's sentiments, I don't like people setting up my gear for me, I like to have my backplate/tank at a certain height, sometimes I'm diving with a can light which is expensive etc. I agree if you can't set up your own gear you probably shouldnt be in the water! Also, most of the boats I dive on expect you to setup your own gear.

"Some" safety training?
When I dive in the Philippines, I expect the boat crew to load and set up my gear (it's the mode there) and to be careful with and respectful of it. I also expect a hot drink (on multiple dives) or a cold beer after I get off the boat. If there happens to be a "welcoming committee" on the floating bar when the boat comes in, so much the better! I think most ceters in the Philippines offer pretty much full service. Of course, they've always been ok with the "don't touch my gear" crowd, but full serve has been the norm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom