Boat/LOB diving and seasickness medications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outofofficebrb

HARRO HUNNAYYY
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

What are all my options out there for seasickness medications and which ones have you used? I've never had to take any motion sickness pills/bands, etc. before and have only had 1 difficult safety stop due to the swells that day (10-15 feet). It was the longest 3 minutes made more difficult with no reference point and just feeling the motion of it all. No fishes fed that day but I'm heading on some extended boat diving soon. I know everyone reacts to them differently but I want to do some research and carry some in my "save a dive" kit. What kind of side effects are we talking about, how often is the dose/does it last and are there any contraindications for diving? Is this something that I would just take while on board or at night and then let it pass before diving?

Thanks!

Why not ask the company you're going with what they recommend? I've been on multiple trips and never noticed anything, although there's always a first time.

Good job doing some research first. My wife and I went on a cruise in April. She took the transderm scopolmine patch as did her sisters. All complained of dry mouth, blurry vision and other side effects but my wife had very serious aftereffects as well. It was almost like a withdrawal after taking the patch off. She developed severe vertigo and could not get out of bed for a week and a half.

Apparently about 10% of people who use the patch develop these aftereffects. Look into it. They are not side effects but come up in reviews of the product and then decide if you want to consider taking it. After what she went through and reading the reviews of others with similar symptoms I have to at least warn anyone considering it.

Stick with a tried product such as dramamine. Follow the recommended dose on the package. Usually best to take before you are symptomatic.

Hopefully the boat will be able to find a calmer place to dive if there is weather / waves present. That is part of the captain's job. If you're concerned about motion sickness, Bonine (non-drowsy) works well, and is best taken well in advance.

Hopefully the boat will be able to find a calmer place to dive if there is weather / waves present. That is part of the captain's job. If you're concerned about motion sickness, Bonine (non-drowsy) works well, and is best taken well in advance.

Thanks! I'll look into it. I'm worried about the open sea crossing.

I have used Ginger to no effect. I have used the Scopolamine patch with good results but it did make my mouth very dry and I have heard others talk about some of the other side effects.

The Scpolomine tablets are no longer available in the US but can be purchased on eBay as Kwells.

I am very prone to seasickness but the biggest problem for me is deep water crossings on liveaboards; I am usually okay on day boats and LOBs that don't include a crossing. But I have also experienced some side effects from motion sickness medications including the patch.

I recently posted the methods I use to try and reduce prevent sea-sickness on another thread, see the link below. The good news is that the worst it has ever been it still doesn't last long (it just feels long!) and I am usually fine the next day and for the rest of the trip. But everybody is different and some individuals are not bothered at all.

Cayman Aggressor IV Trip May 2016

Last edited:
I've just used scopolamine patch with no noticeable side effects and no sea sickness. But do wash your hands as soon as you apply, remove or mess with it in any way.

Good job doing some research first. My wife and I went on a cruise in April. She took the transderm scopolmine patch as did her sisters. All complained of dry mouth, blurry vision and other side effects but my wife had very serious aftereffects as well. It was almost like a withdrawal after taking the patch off. She developed severe vertigo and could not get out of bed for a week and a half.

Apparently about 10% of people who use the patch develop these aftereffects. Look into it. They are not side effects but come up in reviews of the product and then decide if you want to consider taking it. After what she went through and reading the reviews of others with similar symptoms I have to at least warn anyone considering it.

Stick with a tried product such as dramamine. Follow the recommended dose on the package. Usually best to take before you are symptomatic.
With side effects like those it might be worthwhile doing a trial run on dry land or on a short trip before using on an extended dive trip. Those effects could prove a serious danger underwater.

I guess any medication that could affect your dive should be tested first. We would have never thought that there would be side effects and the after effects when using the patch. It just seems so easy. Stick it on at the beginning of the trip and remove it when over...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom