Bottom Timer which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So resurrecting an old thread here.

I'm just about done with ordering new kit to make the transition to DIR style diving. I've got the BP/W setup about sorted, have longer hoses on the way, brass SPG's etc.

Now, the one thing i'm not very comfortable with is going straight to a bottom timer - especially given that I believe i don't actually learn ratio deco until the tech course, not in the fundies course. My current computer (Cobra 2) is air integrated, so that obviously has to be switched out for the SPG.

So what to do computer wise in the meantime, without wasting a lot of $$? I am outfitting both myself and the wife here, so while i'd love to, buying two Xeo's just isn't in the budget :)

I was thinking of just getting a VEO 100 for $150 Oceanic VEO 100 Wrist Computer discounts on sale Oceanic unless someone can recommend a different path? I figure i can ask for a Xen next year once I'm confident enough not to need the deco capability. Although to be honest I'm the kind of person who would likely always want something to double check my maths when my health depends on it.

Edit: Bugger. Seems the VEO100 is not the same as the VEO100NX. I need Nitrox.

Have a think about a superseded, (version 1, rather than 2 or 3), nitrox computer with a bottom timer (gauge) mode. Something with depth averaging might be useful for the future. It'll have the same algorithm, but lack some of the bells & whistles, like multiple gasses, etc. For single gas rec. diving though, it'll have everything you need.

If you go GUE, just put it in gauge mode & use minimum deco.

Have a think about a superseded, (version 1, rather than 2 or 3), nitrox computer with a bottom timer (gauge) mode. Something with depth averaging might be useful for the future. It'll have the same algorithm, but lack some of the bells & whistles, like multiple gasses, etc. For single gas rec. diving though, it'll have everything you need.

If you go GUE, just put it in gauge mode & use minimum deco.

Features you will eventually want in a bottom timer are easy resetting of a stop watch with seconds, and possibly resettable depth averaging. Since many people get a Tec2g to use as a bottom timer, you might consider that (since they're cheap used and you can run it as a computer as well). Also the new Xeo might be cool for similar reasons if it fits in your budget.

The gauge mode on a lot of computers is inadequate. You need seconds displayed. As long as it displays seconds, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The rest is just (handy) gravy.

Last edited:
The DG01 actually looks quite good.

Personally, I've been VERY happy with my Suunto gauges (Vypers and Vytecs). Extremely reliable, downloadable, big lettering, user-replaceable batteries, backlight, DSS gauge mounts, long battery life, gauge/computer mode, etc. They're quite cheap used. I have friends with Tec2gs and Xens who have nothing but problems...

+1.
The suuntos are really good. If used, better to get the latest generation which offer seconds for timer in gauge mode (original vyper apparently doesn't). Also if you (to Ozgriffo) use them as a rec. computer, they are crazy conservative for multi-dives (but even this features can be useful too). Final minor "problem" is they dont have average depth compared to the Tec2G.

I have a vyper2 and a tec2g. Bougth both used on ebay for less than 250$. Changed the battery only once in 2.5 years, mostly becaus i have left them in the rince bucket for a week several time ! For some reason i used the tec2g more, but i really like both and they have been very reliable. In fact, i think the angle of vision on the sunnto is better than the tec2G.

Doesnt mean than sometime I look at the xen and think, hum, Christmass's coming soon ;-)

The DG01 actually looks quite good.

Personally, I've been VERY happy with my Suunto gauges (Vypers and Vytecs). Extremely reliable, downloadable, big lettering, user-replaceable batteries, backlight, DSS gauge mounts, long battery life, gauge/computer mode, etc. They're quite cheap used. I have friends with Tec2gs and Xens who have nothing but problems...

Doesn't the dg01 display hours:mins? Like 1:02 for 1hr 2mins? I prefer gauges thy display minutes only, like 62mins.

So hard to find a moderatly price computer with seconds in the bottom timer function!

The DG-02 doesn't do any kind of timer in gauge mode from what I can tell in the manual.

The new Vyper has also removed the seconds functionality.

The NiTek trio also doesn't have a timer in guage mode.

The Oceanic all seem to be dumb in guage mode, no timer funcationality.

The Xen is starting to look attractive but is obviously only a timer, and Xeo is expensive when buying two.

I was getting excited for a minute, but the non-upgradeable version appears to NOT have the stopwatch function acfording to the Mares Website. But the manual says it does... Why would they remove the stopwatch funciton from the non-air integrated model, and have it in the air-integrated model??

"Stopwatch: No"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom