Bottom Timer which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty silly argument wrt this BT. Have you really been having trouble reading your current gauge in low light conditions? I haven't.
I've had to get off the DPV trigger in a cave to read mine in tight areas because I couldn't give up shining my light ahead. I can't read mine in a silt out (you can read a liquivision in pretty heavy silt).

Plus, they aren't that much more $$$ than a computer in gauge mode with a download cable.

Good to know there are some dives where they become "needed" gear.
Other than you sticking words in other people's mouth, I don't think anyone has claimed they're needed. It's a luxury, like renting a hotel instead of camping during a dive trip. Look at the price of a Halcyon back plate. The bent corners make it more comfy as it doesn't stab you, but there's no way it's "needed".

Seriously, this thing cost a single trimix fill more than any other bottom timer when you add a download cable to the cost...would you not want an OLED display for such a minimal price difference?

Last computer I bought was a $125 used Vyper (for those with poor eyesight, it has large font). Download cable was $50 from overseas. Haven't had any issues with it.

Again, I have no problem with anyone wanting one, I just think many would be happier with money spent on other things (namely decent training and experience). If it proves more reliable than the X1 (almost everyone I know who has one has had issues with the depth sensor), then even better.

Other than you sticking words in other people's mouth, I don't think anyone has claimed they're needed. It's a luxury, like renting a hotel instead of camping during a dive trip. Look at the price of a Halcyon back plate. The bent corners make it more comfy as it doesn't stab you, but there's no way it's "needed".

Seriously, this thing cost a single trimix fill more than any other bottom timer when you add a download cable to the cost...would you not want an OLED display for such a minimal price difference?

NM, mods please delete. That horse walked a long time ago.

Peace,
Greg

So, a watch and an analog gauge?

Interestingly enough, that's how I am rolling for the near future until I can fully clear up the issues I'm having with both my Tec2g and my Aeris :( :( . While analog gauges aren't very DIR, I'm not happy with anything battery-powered right now.

Peace,
Greg

Last computer I bought was a $125 used Vyper (for those with poor eyesight, it has large font). Download cable was $50 from overseas. Haven't had any issues with it.

Again, I have no problem with anyone wanting one, I just think many would be happier with money spent on other things (namely decent training and experience). If it proves more reliable than the X1 (almost everyone I know who has one has had issues with the depth sensor), then even better.
MSRP is like $325 and a $75 cable, no? That means we're talking $100 difference with the download cable and no warranty from leisure pro. I'm sure the liquivisions will get cheaper used as well.

Seems really reasonable to me, but I will agree with you that budget oriented divers should look for used cheaper computers.

I'll fully agree about the training thing and plan to get more training in the near future in case any of those comments were directed at me :)

Like lamont alluded to, sometimes it's not just the money thing holding back the training. For me just a matter of time and with a full work week, holidays, etc only so much you can do at a time.

At the same time though, what can I say I like my toys and fun to look around at all the new shiny things coming out of DEMA. Especially when it does provide a real and significant improvement, hard not to get tempted.

would you not want an OLED display for such a minimal price difference?

I would... if I needed a new BT. Unless my main and my backup crap out, though, I'll pass. However priced at maybe as much as 400 I'd consider getting one. There's something of a mental issue with "500 bucks."

For a luxury bottom timer that I don't need: 0-300 bucks (which may be unreasonable - I just don't know the manufacturing costs) I'd give up a trimix boat trip and grab one. 301-400, okay maybe. 500-xx... probably not.

OTOH, I may be able to sell either of my current units since they're both nitrox computers. Shrug. I'll wait and see what happens to the price. Did the X1 ever come down?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom