Bought "streamlined" regulator package...now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is and don't call me Shirley. No it probably isn't I route my primary the same way and its a 48" hose. Funny story, my buddy had an OOA situation in a cenote and we had to go out single file. He was in front and I was basically tucked between his legs instead of 7' away. kind of wish i had that long hose that day.

I've used mine once, glad it was a 7 foot and he wasn't even in panic.

I normally use a 7-ft hose, but there is one specific situation for which I have been thinking of getting a second reg set with a "streamlined" configuration (where the hose, say 5 ft or less, is routed under my arm and through a swivel or elbow by my head). The situation is when diving from a Zodiac/RIB or panga, where the crew is helping me and other divers with gear. They just don't seem to know how to keep the hose tidy, and it gets wrapped around things or becomes a tripping hazard when the crew member attempts to stow my rig for me as I am climbing back into the boat, and once aboard it may not be within close enough reach that I can clean it up. Basically, we're talking liveaboards and resorts. I'm just tired of having to deal with the 7-ft hose because the crew doesn't know how to handle it.

Unless you are passing tanks through tight restrictions when cave or wreck diving, when do you ever need 7 feet of hose?

Unless you are passing tanks through tight restrictions when cave or wreck diving, when do you ever need 7 feet of hose?

Gives you more room to maneuver if the other is panicked. In my case it was high surf exit (we had to crawl the rocks to get back in. The 7 foot made that process much easier.

We actually once had a reg fail on a shallow river drift right at the beginning of the descent (15 minute surface swim crosswise in 3kt current out to depth, drop, and 45 min drift). Did the whole drift sharing on long hoses a three man team (two of the divers donated, each for half the dive). Long hose was a dream....

different schools of thought on that one.... some want a close up control....

Up close control isn't prohibited by a 7 foot hose. It has to do with how you handle the panicking diver. Grabbing a diver from the back by the tank valve works well, but it's always good to not be limited by a relatively short hose.

Back
Top Bottom