??? BP opposed to Soft Harness ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been reading and looking at BP & W setups to rid myself of my bulky BC. While researching, I found that there a BP with harness is thought to be in a total different class than the soft harness systems. I understand a BP is not soft and that a BP is usually heavier and could reduce belt weight. The soft systems often comment about comfort and seem to have tank straps integrated.

What is the big difference?

Am I correct stating that they can use the same wings, in most cases?

Any input is appreciated.

:06:

The classic bp & w set-up is uncomfortable....on the surface.

The soft systems are made to be comfortable when your lugging your equipment to the waters edge, or carrying it to and from the boat. They are also made to make the diver more comfortable floating on the surface. All of which really doesn't matter. What matters most is the divers position in the water and the reduced drag created by streamlining. There really is no comparision. The BP & W is a better performer here.

Also, the BP & W does become more comfortable on the surface with time. And you learn how to float on the surface without feeling uncomfortable.

My 2 cents.

CDG answered the comfort part pretty good....

As for weight, you can get all sorts of different combinations of weighting. A standard aluminum plate weighs about 2 pounds. You can get a SS plate that weights 6 or 11 pounds. And there are some brass ones that weigh over 20 pounds. To that, you can add a weighted STA, V-weights, and other items. So basically you can have anywhere from 3 to 25+ pounds spread evenly over you back instead of on your hips.

I have a zeagle ranger and I sandwich a BP too it, my only complaint is on the surface shlepping the tanks tend to be "tippy" because I have to sit the tanks up high on my back because the bolt gromets ride low on the rig, thats for double 80's by the way, in the water it tends not to be an issue, don't know if this helps but the ranger has like a nylon "backplate" with gromets for mounting doubles or singles with a STA, I put a BP in there and make it rigid.

With a "comfort" harness like a transplate harness or with a pivot ring harness with neoprene shoulder straps, a BP wing is pretty comfortable out of the water as well. It certainly is more stable with less slop as you walk than a non-BP equipped harness.

I have both. I've got a DiveRite Transpac II and a Halcyon SS backplate with Pioneer wing. Which do I prefer?? The backplate with the Pioneer wing...hands down. A backplate is a backplate, but add the Pioneer wing for singles and it's pure pleasure. When I dive a single, I use the Pioneer of course. When I dive doubles I use my DiveRite Junior or Classic wings with the backplate.

The backplate is much more stable. I got tired of the "rocking" with the Transpac even with the stablizing plates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom