BP/W and DUI weight harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a ¼ inch twelve pound home made plate

full.jpg

albeit a bit bent, or not bent enough
oh yeah with a weight peeking out, but not on the other side where a pony lives

there's the peeker bolted to the plate

full.jpg

get you're COG Right and you'll be doing it Right without the course

Trim & Position | 5of9 | Scuba Buoyancy Masterclass

full.jpg

There are a number of big thick plates available throughout the world

Sandwich some sheet lead between a couple of plates, it's the BOMB

Put your weight on your back and you won't be back, not literally or is that look back I just don't know

Does anyone use additional weight pouches on shoulder straps to get weight forward?
Yes, I use shoulder weight pockets to get weight forward-ish!

When I started I needed a lot of lead, as I had an aluminum plate. On my backplate I've had 3-4 lb. on each shoulder, in XS scuba pockets, but that is awkward. It is a bit much and those pockets are not very snug to the strap. Worn in the water it is fine, if bulky. But on land, or if you remove the plate in water, that much dominates how the strap behaves and that much lead is hard to manipulate by shrugging your arms into the straps. (I also had a belt, plus ditchable pockets, plus some on the plate....)

But 2 lb. per shoulder is not difficult, particularly if it is close to the plate. Close to the plate it has less drastic affect on the strap behavior. DGX trim pockets are nice for that amount. It has less 'forward' effect close to the plate, but when horizontal is at least fairly midline to the body there. Most of my rigs are setup with small DGX trim pockets on the shoulder straps up tight to the plate.

Small 1 lb. ingots, with a bolt snap tied in a way that is flexible is an easy weight to put more forward on the shoulder straps. As they sit tight to the strap under some tire bands, much like a small light would, they are not much in the way. I often have 1 or two such per side on my front straps, maybe with 2 lb on each in a pocket up by the plate. All of that provide some lead belly ward for stability, and also high to counter some that I like ditchable on a belt (more forward than side). Just me, some find that weird. Eh.

I have 2 lb. in each weight pockets on each shoulder on my sidemount rig. But those are as much for being out of way but ditchable as for belly/down back/up trim. 2 bullet weights per side, in the XDeep trim pockets, on the XDeep harness.

Does anyone use additional weight pouches on shoulder straps to get weight forward? Thought about trying that, but found other workable solutions first.

I used them for all my weight (Caribbean) w/ Al plate. They work, they can exaggerate the faceplant effect, and they may get in the way somewhat. You need to tie them off to something. More than 5lbs would be too bulky I think.

I need lots of weight. So I use 10lbs on a belt. And 22 on rig. 6 pound plate + 6 pound sta plus 10 pound p weight.

The W&T and a BP/W go together nicely - the "trim" part of W&T is that you can adjust the shoulder straps to move the weight up or down your torso to dial in your balance/trim.

If you go with the weighted plate, make sure that you're not making too much un-ditchable.

The W&T and a BP/W go together nicely - the "trim" part of W&T is that you can adjust the shoulder straps to move the weight up or down your torso to dial in your balance/trim.

If you go with the weighted plate, make sure that you're not making
redundant buoyancy....
I agree don’t need ditchable weights if u have a drysuit or lift bag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom