BP/W DM Course??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didn't I say that two pages ago? :confused:

I was responding to RJPs practice of exposing multiple configs. Just do the job properly and you don't need to bring an arsenal of kit to your OW courses.

Never said you HAD to bring an arsenal. What I said was purposefully limiting exposure to only one standardized kit because it's "easier" was intellectually lazy.

:)

Please send that statement to a GUE instructor :wink:

What does GUE training have to do with recreational diving? GUE is GUE. It's not even 100% compatible with other tech diving training agencies.

Some say the same thing about rescue classes. Use the same gear. Bull crap. A decent DM course should include as many different gear configurations as possible. And if DM's can't quickly and easily adjust to different set ups they shouldn't be DM's.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Exactly right.
If somebody is going to be a working DM in this day and age of all the different gear configurations that they might encounter working as a guide or on a charter boat, they better know everything about them.

If somebody is going to be a working DM in this day and age of all the different gear configurations that they might encounter working as a guide or on a charter boat, they better know everything about them.

Hmmm.... to a point. I think it'd be a bit harsh to throw a DM trainee in for kit exchange with a CCR. LMAO.

Joking aside...and on that note... when doing my Adv Nitrox course many years ago I did have to complete a rescue for certification. Instructor put me into a scenario with a CCR equipped diver... I had to problem solve that (had zero knowledge then of CCR...had never even touched one before). Go figure.... I worked it out :wink:

Now I'm confused. I though the thread was about DM courses. LOL

Yes, it did spiral a bit out of control. Let's see, I DM exchanged in rental BCD, leaving for Nassau Sat and will dive in a single wing and standard reg setup, when I get back I'll pop into the overheads in FL in my redundant bladder double wing with doubles and 7 footer.....with that said, in DM class...after exchanging rental gear, wings and doubles will be done for the fun of it :wink: If my fellow DM-C overloads during confined exchange.......

Hmmm.... to a point. I think it'd be a bit harsh to throw a DM trainee in for kit exchange with a CCR. LMAO.

Joking aside...and on that note... when doing my Adv Nitrox course many years ago I did have to complete a rescue for certification. Instructor put me into a scenario with a CCR equipped diver... I had to problem solve that (had zero knowledge then of CCR...had never even touched one before). Go figure.... I worked it out :wink:
Yeah, that could be a bit interesting :shocked2:

I was more referring to regular open circuit scuba whereas it has changed quite a bit and it doesn't seem that there is a true standard anymore. If I was running an operation or was a DM on boats I'd make sure I knew about what people were using.
It only makes sense.
I've seen everything from fresh OW divers wearing all the latest typical LDS gear to DIR configurations to everything in between and even in some cases vintage divers and minimalist hunter types going old school with no bc's, all on the same charter.
Some CA charters do not allow CCR's, unless possibly a group of them charters the boat with special permission, but then I would guess they probably have their own CCR trained DM's too.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom