bp/w harness type and time of use

Since using a bp/w what system choices applies to you (min 30 dives in bp/w)?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an OMS comfort harness thingy (forget the exact name), and I lost it after I decided to try a continuous weave harness for my tech class this spring. I haven't looked back and I don't think I ever will. It's going up on craig's list in a few days.

A guy that used to work at my LDS sold me the"comfort" harness and I thought I was the stuff. Then I did my own research and saw how much cheaper, streamlined and simple everything was. I was ticked. I sold mine and I am not going back.

Single weave is actually more comfortable, in my opinion.

I used a continuous strap harness and backplate for some time. I now use a Apex harness sometimes with and sometimes without a plate, depending on where and what kind of diving I'm doing.

A guy that used to work at my LDS sold me the"comfort" harness and I thought I was the stuff. Then I did my own research and saw how much cheaper, streamlined and simple everything was. I was ticked. I sold mine and I am not going back.

Single weave is actually more comfortable, in my opinion.

You are the poster child for why I recommend the single piece harness first. Most divers eventually discover they are happier with a single piece harness.

I don't need customers resentful that they were sold something they don't really need.

My standard advice:

1) Buy the single piece harness.

2) Try it for at least 1/2 dozen dives. Be prepared to spend some time fiddling with the harness.

3) If after a fair try at using the single piece harness you still want a buckle, buy one at the local sporting goods store and have the local shoe maker stitch it place. This option is $15-$25. Very very few ever find the need to do so.

It's the lowest cost approach.

Experience has shown it to have a high percentage of happy divers.

There is a low cost upgrade path available for those few who want a buckle.

Tobin

Interesting stats:
The majority use continuous which is simpler and less expensive but have always just used that type without trying the other styles.
The fact that it is less expensive may be a motivation. That also may lead to the fact that they haven't tried other styles.
Also interesting is that the 2 groups that use the comfort harness comprise a larger percentage than those that have switched to just webbing.

The fact that it is less expensive may be a motivation. That also may lead to the fact that they haven't tried other styles.

I am sure it is a consideration. I would guess, however, that the primary reason that simple single-piece harness is very popular is because it follows the cave/technical diving concept of task-focused minimalism. This concept is especially prominent within the Hogarthian and DIR methodologies.

The conversion of these technical methodologies into recreational diving has proven to be considerably attractive to those recreational divers who have an above-average interest in perfecting their dive skills and maximising safety through the investigation and adoption of 'best practice' learning.

Interesting stats:
The majority use continuous which is simpler and less expensive but have always just used that type without trying the other styles.
Also interesting is that the 2 groups that use the comfort harness comprise a larger percentage than those that have switched to just webbing.

What stands out for me is the ~2 in 25 (8%) that sought out a "comfort" harness after starting with a single piece.

It's reasonable to assume some of this 8% may not have had the benefit of good mentoring / instruction on how to set up and use a single piece harness.

Of course with so few data points the margin of error will be large.

While it's unlikely to ever be conducted it would be an interesting experiment to require new users to use only one type harness for some finite period and then see how many wish to switch.

It is my suspicion that learning curve potentially encountered with a single piece harness is too long for some, particularly when they have knowledge of a harness type that in theory is more comfortable and easier to use.

Tobin

Clutching at straws.......

How can you look at a 80% / 20% split and deduce that the minority was significant?

If advising someone what option to choose first, then it is entirely logical to suggest the cheapest and most popular option available.

Nobody is trying to 'convert' anyone here. But, when asked for advice, some of us attempt to provide the most cost-effect and likely solution to the users dilema.

Comfort harness is only favoured by 1 in 5 BP&W divers. Of those, nearly half have not tried a basic harness. Comfort harness is approximately 4-6 times more expensive than a basic harness.
To recommend that to a newbie would be totally illogical. I just couldn't comprehend why or how anyone could recommend a comfort harness as an initial purchase.

In contrast, 8 out of 10 BP&W divers prefer a single-piece harness. It serves their purpose and costs less than a single tank dive charter...

The basic single-piece harness is undeniably the best option to choose, when first moving to BP&W.

you have data to back up this claim ? i'd like to see it . I hope your not using the 40 something posts here.... half of which are he sais she said

you have data to back up this claim ? i'd like to see it . I hope your not using the 40 something posts here.... half of which are he sais she said

Yep...it was an on-the-spot analysis of this poll, as it stood at the time of my post.

If you have better statistic data...perhaps some industry reports or global sales figures.... it would be nice for you to share them here... :eyebrow:

nope.. don't have any or claimed to

I just was answering a question the op asked. ooh and I picked number four from your options, cept it only cost me 55 dollars :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom