BP/W Instructor for 10 yo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thumbs down? Come on. You get handed a line like that, you can't just let it sit there.

Both my children learned to dive at 12 years old, when that was the standard. They both did perfectly well, that did not stop them from doing somersaults underwater. I don't remember exactly what they were like at 10 or whether that would have been a good idea. I always wonder whose idea it is to get certified at a young age, the student or the parent.

I've been diving with my son for 26 years and with my daughter for 22 years, something worked out very well.

The OP asked for an experienced female instructor comfortable with a BPW setup in NorCal; OP didn’t ask for parenting advice or standards-violating gear configurations that would be straight up dangerous here.

Some people just can’t read or otherwise handle their Internet.

SMDH
I could point out that Fabien was taught at the age of 4. But what did his grandpa know exactly?

But seriously, my daughter is 4. No way would I teach her now even if she was physically able and didn't have increased risk of overexpansion injuries.

Every parent needs to decide when they believe their child is mature enough to learn to scuba dive.

For my daughter, I'm suspecting she'll follow direction well enough around the age of 38. That's a long time to wait for my favorite dive buddy, but oh well, that's not up to me.

I recently got certified through Diver Dan's in Santa Clara and there was a 10 year old girl getting certified with her dad in our class. We had T Cotter and Dan Pere as our instructors and they were phenomenal (Almost 70 years of combined experience between them). I highly recommend that dive shop and my instructors.

Sadly during the open water portion, the water was too cold for her and had to call it quits (Something to consider if doing the open water portion in Monterey).

I recently got certified through Diver Dan's in Santa Clara and there was a 10 year old girl getting certified with her dad in our class. We had T Cotter and Dan Pere as our instructors and they were phenomenal (Almost 70 years of combined experience between them). I highly recommend that dive shop and my instructors.

Sadly during the open water portion, the water was too cold for her and had to call it quits (Something to consider if doing the open water portion in Monterey).
Did you do the confined water portion of the course in a swimming pool? (Was it heated?) If so, how did the 10-yo do with this part of the course?

rx7diver

Did you do the confined water portion of the course in a swimming pool? (Was it heated?) If so, how did the 10-yo do with this part of the course?

rx7diver
Yes, it was done in a heated pool at the dive shop. She did great in all the skills. But as soon as we entered the ocean she was uncomfortably cold and had to call the dive (Unsure if it was because of not enough exposure protection or being at that age didn't have the same cold tolerance as an adult.) For reference, ocean water temperature was 57°F.

Yes, it was done in a heated pool at the dive shop. She did great in all the skills. But as soon as we entered the ocean she was uncomfortably cold and had to call the dive... For reference, ocean water temperature was 57°F.
I wonder if her dad is aware that she can get a referral, and then they can travel someplace warm with warm water, to do the open water portion of her training.

rx7diver

I wonder if her dad is aware that she can get a referral, and then they can travel someplace warm with warm water, to do the open water portion of her training.

rx7diver
Yes, that's what they eventually decided to do and the instructor let them know that he will handle the referral process.

Yes, that's what they eventually decided to do and the instructor let them know that he will handle the referral process.
Excellent!

Well, except there's also the part that I wouldn't have let my own daughters get scuba certified when they were 10, if they had wanted to. I wonder about both a 10-yo's judgement and the physiological effects on a 10-yo's developing body, of breathing compressed air under increased ambient pressure. I know, though, that other parents don't share my concerns regarding their own children.

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom