BP/W is just a tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From where springs the idea that there is "beginning" dive gear and "advanced" dive gear? After a period of time one must shed their gear and re-equip?

If there is some sort of SCUBA puberty, I'm sorry I missed it.

You know, my husband says he sees little difference between diving his SeaQuest Balance and his backplate single tank setup. But he has done the work to figure out the trim weighting for the Balance, and it fits him very well.

I don't like any BC without a rigid plate of some sort, because the tank slops around on my back. But I have NEVER been uncomfortable in a backplate and harness, including hiking 1/4 mile with my gear on in Hawaii in a 3 mil suit. I must admit, I don't dive in a T-shirt or no shirt. I might like something padded better in that circumstance.

If the OP is relieved to get into the pool in his Zeagle, it makes me wonder if either he's using a much lighter tank in the pool, and less weight, or whether perhaps the harness isn't properly adjusted. I can slip in and out of my harnesses very easily, after Bob Sherwood loosened them about four inches :)

I totally agree that a backplate setup is a tool, and that it is absolutely possible to dive beautifully in other gear. In cold water, moving the five pounds up onto somebody's back, and losing the intrinsic buoyancy of many BCs is a BIG advantage. In warm water, the absolute minimalism of a backplate and harness delights me. But your mileage may vary.

Don't worry Stu, you didn't miss anything. It just makes you itchy and then you get all this hair sticking out around the straps of your BP/W. :shocked2:

Thanks, Tim. I suppose one puberty was enough to last me a lifetime.

I don't like any BC without a rigid plate of some sort, because the tank slops around on my back. But I have NEVER been uncomfortable in a backplate and harness, including hiking 1/4 mile with my gear on in Hawaii in a 3 mil suit. I must admit, I don't dive in a T-shirt or no shirt. I might like something padded better in that circumstance.

With 2" webbing the short hike from the parking lot to the water was uncomfortable to me and I was wearing a drysuit with cold-water undergarments. That being said, my shoulder straps were too tight at the time.

If the OP is relieved to get into the pool in his Zeagle, it makes me wonder if either he's using a much lighter tank in the pool, and less weight, or whether perhaps the harness isn't properly adjusted. I can slip in and out of my harnesses very easily, after Bob Sherwood loosened them about four inches :)

On your advice TSandM I snugged up the crotch strap and let off the shoulder straps a bit. I now find it really easy to get in and out of the BP plus it stays on snugly. Stil no cherubs, though. My only complaint is that for long trudges it is still not comfortable and I could use a sternum strap (for hiking, not necessary for diving).

Here on Scubaboard, whenever questions are raised about what kind of BCD is recommended, there always seems to be a rush to push people in the direction of back plate and wing.

Here comes that rush again and it's usually the same people. As you've noticed
some of them take it quite personally too.

I especially love the ones who accuse you of being "anecdotal" in an attempt to imply their posts are not anecdotal.

I'm cave and Trimix certified, and I use the BP/W in that type of diving - the Ladyhawk when instructing and all recreational dives.

Last edited:
Here comes that rush again and it's usually the same people. As you've noticed
some of them take it quite personally too.

I especially love the ones who accuse you of being "anecdotal" in an attempt to imply their posts are not anecdotal.

Don,

The personal observations of a very few individuals can be nothing but anecdotal.

OTOH I spend a fair part of most days speaking with divers who are interested in BP&W's. I'd venture I've had personal contact here, on other forums, via email and the phone several thousand divers.

Many of these have become customers. Fortunately most have been quite satisfied with their BP&W. Many are repeat customers.

A majority are primarily single tank divers.

A majority dive at least some of time in warm water.

Vanishingly few have reported any of the fit or use difficulties reported by the OP.

My door is always open to my customers, I answer my phone and return emails. If there was a wide spread problem with comfort or ease of use, etc. I'd know about.

I'm not here to say the OP's personal observations are invalid, but it's well to remember that many many 1000's of happy BP&W users exist.

Tobin

The personal observations of a very few individuals can be nothing but anecdotal... I'm not here to say the OP's personal observations are invalid, but it's well to remember that many many 1000's of happy BP&W users exist.

Tobin

How about those "personal observations" from millions of jacket users?

I have around 500 dives with the BP/W and 1000 in the jacket, each in all dive profiles (including several cave dives in the Ladyhawk). I prefer the BP/W in most cases, BUT, there are times when I prefer the jacket (in open water, and especially in rough seas). The right tool for the job, and all.

Don,

The personal observations of a very few individuals can be nothing but anecdotal.

OTOH I spend a fair part of most days speaking with divers who are interested in BP&W's. I'd venture I've had personal contact here, on other forums, via email and the phone several thousand divers.

Many of these have become customers. Fortunately most have been quite satisfied with their BP&W. Many are repeat customers.

A majority are primarily single tank divers.

A majority dive at least some of time in warm water.

Vanishingly few have reported any of the fit or use difficulties reported by the OP.

My door is always open to my customers, I answer my phone and return emails. If there was a wide spread problem with comfort or ease of use, etc. I'd know about.

I'm not here to say the OP's personal observations are invalid, but it's well to remember that many many 1000's of happy BP&W users exist.

Tobin

That's very good Tobin and sure there's many many 1,000's of happy bp/w users just as there's many many 1,000's of happy BCD users. As the OP said, there's a tool for every job yet every job isn't best accomplished using the same tool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom