BP/W is just a tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started diving in a Zeagle Ranger, then tried someone's BP/W system and simply liked it better. Therefore, when people ask, "what should I get" I suggest that they try a BP/W because they might also really like it--even for warm water use.

You've got to be kidding me! You must be stupid, brainwashed, or better yet.....a shill for a backplate manufacturer!

I always thought the doubles were the backplate with the bands or plac pac being the means for attachment.
And as the bp/w becomes more prolific there will be rising sea level to contend with.

There is (as usual) a lot of bitching about BCs and drag. People spout off a lot but can't back up what they say. Let's divide this lack of proof into two categories: (1) what can be proven or demonstrated empirically, universally, and reproducibly; and (2) what is necessarily subjective.

My statement that there is a lot of bitching falls into category 2 - my statement is subjective. In truth, I should have typed "to me it seems as though there is a lot of bitching about BCs and drag." Enough said.

Enter into the first category statements on BCs and drag. I posted here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5478101-post106.html a link to the only study that I am aware of on scuba equipment configurations and drag, done by the US Navy. How many of you have read it? Or do you just accept that BCs cause (significantly) more drag on faith? Have you read any different, possibly conflicting studies? Please report them!

Those who understand drag physics know that frictional opposition to motion in water is a function of many factors, but it always increases with velocity. In some circumstances someone swimming slowly in a BC will experience less drag than someone swimming rapidly in a BP/w.

According to the above study, someone swimming in a wetsuit with face mask, snorkel, and weights experiences twice the drag of someone swimming in trunks only at 1 ft/s. Someone in a full scuba outfit with a single tank experiences three times the drag of someone swimming in trunks only at 1 ft/s. Double tanks? Four times the drag of someone swimming in trunks only at 1 ft/s.

I don't see anyone telling divers that they should avoid doubles because of the drag...

I say...ask those divers in the video how many dives they have before blaming the gear. Back plates take some getting used to. These divers could be just using the set up for the first couple dives? The BP/W need to be set up, then there is the weighting, tested and likely adjusted a few times before the right fit is found, especially a single web harness. BCD's are great and have a purpose just as BP/W's.

I like mine and yes it took some getting used to at first, but now after 300 plus dives with a BP/W , I feel more strange using a BCD!

There is (as usual) a lot of bitching about BCs and drag. People spout off a lot but can't back up what they say. Let's divide this lack of proof into two categories: (1) what can be proven or demonstrated empirically, universally, and reproducibly; and (2) what is necessarily subjective.

My statement that there is a lot of bitching falls into category 2 - my statement is subjective. In truth, I should have typed "to me it seems as though there is a lot of bitching about BCs and drag." Enough said.

Enter into the first category statements on BCs and drag. I posted here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5478101-post106.html a link to the only study that I am aware of on scuba equipment configurations and drag, done by the US Navy. How many of you have read it? Or do you just accept that BCs cause (significantly) more drag on faith? Have you read any different, possibly conflicting studies? Please report them!

Those who understand drag physics know that frictional opposition to motion in water is a function of many factors, but it always increases with velocity. In some circumstances someone swimming slowly in a BC will experience less drag than someone swimming rapidly in a BP/w.

According to the above study, someone swimming in a wetsuit with face mask, snorkel, and weights experiences twice the drag of someone swimming in trunks only at 1 ft/s. Someone in a full scuba outfit with a single tank experiences three times the drag of someone swimming in trunks only at 1 ft/s. Double tanks? Four times the drag of someone swimming in trunks only at 1 ft/s.

I don't see anyone telling divers that they should avoid doubles because of the drag...

OH, I don't know about that...:D
In alot of the most enjoyable dives I ever did with George Irvine, Bill Mee, and a few other of our DIR buddies, we would use SINGLE tank rigs if there was any conceivable way they would work for the dive..ie., we would avoid using doubles because of the drag of the much larger doubles system...dives like the 145 foot deep Hole in the wall would always be with a single al 80, and in the last 10 years, this would be normoxic trimix or triox :) ( no gas switches required, no O2 deco required either).
Our objective was always to be as slick as possible in the water, especially on the huge adventure dives like Hole in the wall, or the rolls off the back of the crown on Juno, and a dozen other FUN dives we always have enjoyed doing.
And in a large part of the rec.scuba posting that I did in the late 90's, pushing the ideas of DIR, a huge part of that was being slick, with an al 80, for recreational dives. This was a big part of the beginning of DIR being heard about and discussed in the global dive community at large, so this should qualify...the word did get out.... :)
DIR is about diving streamlined, and when we can safely do a dive in a single tank, this was preferred. There is no comparison to doubles...I would only use doubles when the dive is so deep, or penetration significant to the point that doubles become mandatory.

Regards,
DanV

Kent
You opened a can of worms, when we going diving? I wont tell which set-up you use!

Yep!:D

When we go diving soon...it will be local and cold, and I will be using my BP/W!
I'd like to go to Bridgeport around Nov 6,7. Would that work for you?

PS. I've been feeling for you lately. Hope you and your family are doing better.

I presonally wouldn't bother with a double-tank setup at all if I were to go the deep diving and/or deco diving route. Might as well go whole hog and get a nice rebreather kit.

I'll have to check the calendar. I dove their when I went back for my Dad's funeral, nice quiet solo dive, just what I needed. I will be in touch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom