BP/W keeps flipping me on my back- help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamikey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My girlfriend is using a 7mm wetsuit, DSS BP/W with SS plate and Torus 26 wing, and LP 85 steel tank. I think she had 8 lbs in a weightbelt. She feels that she is being pushed down and flips on her back. Any ideas?

scubamikey:
My girlfriend is using a 7mm wetsuit, DSS BP/W with SS plate and Torus 26 wing, and LP 85 steel tank. I think she had 8 lbs in a weightbelt. She feels that she is being pushed down and flips on her back. Any ideas?

Have her pull the weights on her belt as far to the front as possible so that when horizontal they are under her.

That might help.

Sitck on some intergrated weight pouches, get the weight off the hips

Cheers
Chris

scubamikey:

On the surface or underwater?

Presuming U/w -- is the harness adjusted correctly? If you do a google search, I think on the baue (bay area underwater users) site there are some good photos of how the harness needs to be adjusted.

Assuming that's OK, what part is being pushed down? Her head, legs? one side?

If she tries to extend her legs behind her (the thigh portion mostly), and get her head tipped back into the first stage, that might help. Some people say to arch the back a bit, some to extend the thigs.

If you just go "passive" with your body, then tipping over could be a side-effect.

Don Janni:
Have her pull the weights on her belt as far to the front as possible so that when horizontal they are under her.

That might help.

With a single, I doubt 8 pounds of weight is really going to matter too much no matter where you put it.

When I dive with a 7MM and Steel plate, I use 8 pounds on the belt, and (if you can stand the 59F water here in a wetsuit :) it's a really nice, easy config to dive (for me)

Depending on where in upstate NY you are, I'd recommend sending her to Ed Hayes' Buoyancy class at the Scuba Shack, just south of Hartford. I'm just finishing up and it has been very much worth the drive time from Albany. All the students are required to be in standard Hog rig. (Rentals are available)

scubamikey:

It appears that your girl friend is appropriately weighted, she has about 16 lbs of ballast vs a 7mm suit. I assume her harness is properly adjusted, if not do so.

As others have said, moving the weights on her weight belt forward may help a bit.

It is key to remember that no BC will provide perfect horizontal trim to a fully relaxed diver. Maintaining trim requires arching your back, and control of your arms and leg position.

One trick I'll pass on is keeping your legs spread apart so the your fins are wider than shoulder width. With your legs spread, knees bent and fin blades horizontal, it is much easier to resist rotation along your long axis. Contrast that position with having your fins together and legs extended.

My guess is he solution is more about practice and body position than equipment adjustment.

Tobin

scubamikey:

Getting pushed down? Divers need to be able to sink! :D

If she is sinking too quickly, then she either is overweighted, or she needs to put some air in the wing. Have you done weight checks with a near empty tank? 16lbs (plate + weight) does sound about right, but then again when diving steel, one can generally remove a few lbs.

Does she have this issue with a AL80?

Turtling is often a result of too much weight, and over inflating the BC. Is she having to put a lot of air in the cell to prevent sinking?

RonFrank:
Getting pushed down? Divers need to be able to sink! :D

If she is sinking too quickly, then she either is overweighted, or she needs to put some air in the wing. Have you done weight checks with a near empty tank? 16lbs (plate + weight) does sound about right, but then again when diving steel, one can generally remove a few lbs.

Does she have this issue with a AL80?

Turtling is often a result of too much weight, and over inflating the BC. Is she having to put a lot of air in the cell to prevent sinking?

LP85's are almost neutral when empty, Worthingtons are -.7, fabers are 0.0

Having a some gas in your wing can reduce the tendency to turtle.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Having a some gas in your wing can reduce the tendency to turtle.

Tobin

I observed a diver who was very overweighted, and was having to almost fill his BC to keep buoyant (scary). I noticed he seemed highly unstable, and rolled a lot hence my comment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom