BP/W...please explain what it is!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BP/W is an abbreviation for "backplate and wing". The backplate is a plate (usually aluminum or steel, but sometimes plastic) with slots for a harness and holes and slots for tank mounting hardware. The wing is a an air-bladder that attaches to the backplate.

Another style, which you've probbaly seen, is a "jacket" BC, which is mostly fabric, with straps to mount the tank and usually some sort of internal plastic frame to help hold the tank.

SCUBABoard has a very vocal BP/W fanclub, however if you're doing recreational dives you won't actually find a lot of BP/Ws out on dive boats, and you'll seldom see them in a dive shop.

There's nothing wrong with it, however unless you need a place to bolt 100+ Lbs of tanks, there's no huge advantage either.

Just like everything else in SCUBA, it's a bag full of compromises, and the only way to know which style you actually prefer is to try both.

flots

Not sure if you noticed this thread is kinda old. But anyway, in my local area, BP/W's would outnumber jacket BC's at least 2-1 on most boat trips. All the LDS now stock plates and wings, the last hold-outs to the old business models have even brought in Scubapro models, although the big H and Hollis seem the dominant brands. I have theories on why, but it's just how it is.

Having said that, I went on a live-aboard last year less than 300miles from home and everyone was asking me why I was diving tec gear..

Not sure if you noticed this thread is kinda old. But anyway, in my local area, BP/W's would outnumber jacket BC's at least 2-1 on most boat trips. All the LDS now stock plates and wings, the last hold-outs to the old business models have even brought in Scubapro models, although the big H and Hollis seem the dominant brands. I have theories on why, but it's just how it is.

Having said that, I went on a live-aboard last year less than 300miles from home and everyone was asking me why I was diving tec gear..

I'd call this thread "oldie but goodie".... Especially since I'm a new student diver trying to find out what the benefits are of tech gear... Since it comes with backplate configs for 1 tank, and it's so modular and can be tailored accordingly, it sounds like it'll work well for me. I also like the crotch strap... Keeps ur bc from flying high. As far as weights go, it sounds like in some situations, u may not even need em. And i believe scubapros tek line has weights that attach to the harness itself... Still learning... But all very fascinating.

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

I'd call this thread "oldie but goodie".... Especially since I'm a new student diver trying to find out what the benefits are of tech gear... Since it comes with backplate configs for 1 tank, and it's so modular and can be tailored accordingly, it sounds like it'll work well for me. I also like the crotch strap... Keeps ur bc from flying high. As far as weights go, it sounds like in some situations, u may not even need em. And i believe scubapros tek line has weights that attach to the harness itself... Still learning... But all very fascinating.

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

You can set it up for either Doubles or Single tank, if you go with DSS you have the option of using some bolt on weights to add more weight to the BP and less on your belt. I found out I trim MUCH better in a BP/W compared to back inflate/jacket BC's. Being rather tall I have the luxury of it actually being more comfortable than jacket style. I also love just losing weight from my weight harness just by getting rid of the floaty fabric of my other BCD (2-3lbs positive).

Did ya tell em it was because you are smarter than the average bear? And that it's cheaper?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Lol. I should have, but seeing that the rest of the boat was filled with a dive-club, I thought it better to do my penguin impression instead.

[video=youtube;o5NWow-XXhU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5NWow-XXhU[/video]

Did ya tell em it was because you are smarter than the average bear? And that it's cheaper?

Sure, and they just replied that you can't learn how to dive on the internet and that dive gear is life support and that only an idiot would try to save money.

This tread has been extremely informative

Thank you for resurrecting a four year-old thread with that informative comment about the informative thread.

One thing I am finding to be quite interesting, is the very large number of bp/wing setups you see when diving any of the charter boats in Palm Beach.....maybe we are getting more long-time advanced divers visiting....maybe it is the influence of Scubaboard...maybe it is the difference of going to a place where many know that you will be allowed to be "as good as you can be" on a dive...meaning getting grouped with divers of similar advanced skills, and diving more advanced sites--this kind of experience is going to get a larger percentage of divers going for the gusto, and that may very well mean bp/wing divers :)

SCUBABoard has a very vocal BP/W fanclub, however if you're doing recreational dives you won't actually find a lot of BP/Ws out on dive boats, and you'll seldom see them in a dive shop.

... depends on the boat ... and where you dive. There were 21 of us on this three-day liveaboard in the Channel Islands ... 19 were using BP/W's ... and these were all recreational dives ...

IMG_0201.jpg

... and here in Puget Sound they're pretty common, even among people who have no intention of ever doing a dive that requires doubles. It's just a practical way to carry some of the weight that's required to dive in our environment. I would say that at least half the dive shops in our area carry some form of BP/W ... even if they tend to push other forms of BCD ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom