BP&W setup for warm water travel and cold water home

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kobayashi maru

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a new diving looking at building up gear. My pet peeve about dive gear is that there is so much of it, so am looking at a BP&W setup as a way of reducing clutter and doing things right from the start. Single tank.

I will be diving in 7mm at home for most of the year (Wellington NZ) but am also hoping for at least one or two tropical getaways per year. I'm guessing that means two back plates and an adjustable harness or would I be better off just getting a travel package and add weight when at home. Happy to spend a bit to get something which will last. Any suggestions much appreciated.

I use a Freedom plate from Eric Sedletzky here on Scubaboard for home and travel. I tighten the waist buckle a bit if I'm wearing a thin wetsuit but other than that keep the adjustment the same.

I currently have separate BP/W rigs but one is for singles and the other for doubles. I used to use a single plate for both but got tired of installing/removing the single wing and straps. If you are only planning to dive a single tank setup, adjusting a standard one piece harness for cold or warm water only takes a few moments. I found that switching the rig back to cold water (my normal setup) was even quicker as I could clearly see the hardware impressions in the webbing. Good luck!

I use a Freedom plate from Eric Sedletzky here on Scubaboard for home and travel. I tighten the waist buckle a bit if I'm wearing a thin wetsuit but other than that keep the adjustment the same.

Nice. I really like the idea of supporting a scubaboard member. Availability may be an issue or do you just harass him until he gives up and makes you one?

I would buy one AL BP and weight it as necessary, but I am athletic and head-heavy (due to brain power, off course)

From this and Ziders post it looks like a travel plate may be the way to go.

Last edited:
I got bored (read too lazy) to keep swapping things too..

For "winter" and my DS I have a Trans plate harness

For Summer I have a Transpac

All I do is move the wings over (At home I dive single steels)

If I'm vacationing and using Al 80 - then I'll put on spare smaller wing.

My pet peeve about dive gear is that there is so much of it, so am looking at a BP&W setup as a way of reducing clutter and doing things right from the start. Single tank.

Don't fool yourself. On top of all that above, I've a SM rig, a teaching BCD and specific regs, Deco kits etc. Then there's the wifes gear, all our cylinders. I had to sell the car and buy a truck to use for diving.

Too much gear - Never! That's almost Heresy

I'm recusing myself.

Travel plate not a good way to go? From Ziders post it looked like a one piece harness works and you suggested AL. I took from this that one lightweight plate with weights might be a good way to go. Did I miss something?

I got bored (read too lazy) to keep swapping things too..

For "winter" and my DS I have a Trans plate harness

For Summer I have a Transpac

All I do is move the wings over (At home I dive single steels)

If I'm vacationing and using Al 80 - then I'll put on spare smaller wing.

Don't fool yourself. On top of all that above, I've a SM rig, a teaching BCD and specific regs, Deco kits etc. Then there's the wifes gear, all our cylinders. I had to sell the car and buy a truck to use for diving.

Too much gear - Never! That's almost Heresy

Damn that a lot of gear!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom