BP/W... what will I regret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlcnuke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, my BCD is a bit large and that's starting to annoy me. The pockets are also huge and the zippers for them are so far back it can be annoying. As a result, I'm looking at switching to a BP/W system. Considerations I have:

1. Initially this will be for single tank diving - eventually I plan to at least do some tec-diving (I'd like to dive wrecks like the Oriskany without having a minuscule bottom time at the deck). As I understand it, for most setups (i.e. going to doubles or singles) this should just consist of changing out the wing, but I could use the same backplate and harness.
2. Diving locally, the water is cold. I'll be in a 7mm with hood/gloves or drysuit most of the time. Diving on my dive trips are no exposure suit up to a 3mm (primarily diving in the Caribbean, Mexico, and Florida). As a result, I need to have the ability to wear weights and I'd prefer to do weight pockets/plates rather than a separate weight belt (as I'm used to integrated weights already and don't want to change that at this point).
3. I'm 5'9" and ~220lbs, but working on losing ~50 lbs (down about 10 now). With a 7mm currently, I wear 18 lbs, not sure how much I'd drop by just switching to a BP/W, so that's a question as well, how should I expect to change weight from a full jacket BCD to a BP/W setup? Or is it probably close enough to just start at the same weight and do weight checks to get it dialed in?
4. I primarily dive AL80's.

So I've been doing some research, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to buy next. I'm currently leaning towards the DGX custom singles package with SS backplate, no shoulder pads, and no weight pockets, but picking up the OMS ballast system and a couple DR travel weight pockets to go on the tank straps, and maybe some DGX assembly screws to lock the wing onto the BP.

Total package costs would be $417, but maybe also pick up the OMS Smartstream package to make it easier to get in/out of on the surface should that be preferred/necessary for an extra ~$50.

Is there something about this setup that I would regret not doing differently as I progress in my diving? Is there something I should definitely include but aren't (back-pad or something)?

Thanks for you input.

You can adjust the harness so that the Smartstream package is unnecessary. You can attach weight pockets to the harness, to some backplates or use something like this. I prefer a weightbelt. Most backplates weight around six pounds. That plus the elimination of the bulky pockets and padding from a BC should drop your lead requirement.

The harness comes with the package is fine. Do not cut off any length until you are absolutely sure.
The package also includes two plastic assembly screws. But I also bought two metal one even DGX does not recommend it. I am glad I did because one of the plastic screw broke after few yrs.

No regret.

For the non-ditchable weight pockets, I prefer the zipper shut ones. I have had one that was just a flap and with a small 2 pound soft weight it can wiggle and squirm out the gap. Not a problem with bigger weights, just the little ones, I have not tried those exact Dive Rite ones to know if they are like that or not, and the pictures are not clear enough. Just something to think about.

Don't forget to add a crotch strap as well. I don't see that listed. I don't care how much you think you don't want one, you will not want to dive without it once you start.

If you plan to stay wet, there are dual bladder wings that might be an option for you. It isn't double lift, but just a second bladder inside the same cover. If you have a failure (just last month I watched someone tear the inflator off there bladder) you have a second bladder as redundancy. I got one as a dealer special, never used it. The inflator is tucked away but if I need it I can pull it out. Inflate orally or move the inflator quick connect over. It isn't that common, but is an option that does exist. For those who dive wet and don't have a drysuit to use as redundant buoyancy.

the weight of the backplate on flights? :)
No joke; my dive bag was getting perilously close the to 50 lb limit on flights with the SS BP. I bought the OxyCheq soft travel BP and use that for travel; it's plenty stable with an AL80 or 100CF tank. You will need to add a few more lbs of lead to your weight pockets and/or cam bands to make up for the lighter BP.

But for a first BP/W rig the SS + a 30lb wing is great for recreational diving.

I'm not averse to relatively quickly picking up an AL backplate for reduced weight when traveling, so that's not a huge concern for me.

I'm not averse to relatively quickly picking up an AL backplate for reduced weight when traveling, so that's not a huge concern for me.
Well, the Al plates aren't THAT much lighter. More to the point, moving your harness from BP to BP is a significant PITA - so, figure you'll want to get another single piece of webbing, and hardware (D-rings, buckle, cam bands, bike tire "rubber bands", etc) and fashion another harness. Not a big deal after you've fine-tuned your first kit and learn the ins and outs.

Everyone has their philosophy. However, solid diving will have the same great advice coming with consistency. So here is mine because you asked.
First you’re diving a lot of new. Meaning you’re not use to any of it. Eliminate problems. Dive a pool again to learn your buoyancy, where your gear is, the feel of it (how tight or loose), your trim, and other ABC foundations of diving. Consider you’re starting over but this time you read the book before hand.
Listen to everyone’s advice. Even try some of it (in a pool).
BP/W is a solid modular set up.

Also diving a BP/ W rig, you’ll notice hitting your head on the first stage during a dive. There are ways to resolve that.

Back
Top Bottom