Breath-Holding Advice for U/W Swimming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, now I'm somewhat confused...

a) Should I make even inhales and exhales before I begin my u/w swim?

b) Should I try to exhale longer than I inhale before I begin?

c) Should I just *give up* and go back to PADI? (j/k) :wink:

I'm not a freediving champion, however my method is a model of simplicity. Breathe normally. Take a moderate to deep breath. Make sure you do not have the heeby-jeebies and get rid of any nervousness if you can. Inhale. Go for it.

Like others have said try to swim slow and count your strokes. I am positive that the flutter kick is not helping here at all. Maybe a friend or a local shop can show you the breast stroke or you can look at the videos available over the net. Stroke and glide and you will be at the 20m.

Chances are your instructor will work with you when you do get in the water.

When the urge to breathe is just too much to bear, exhale and start ascending.

Take 10-15 deep breaths, inhaling and exhaling completely and evenly. It'll take 2-3 seconds for each inhalation and exhalation (4-6 secs per breath). This is not hyperventilation (fast and shallow breathing) and is safe.

For the swimming, pull hard then glide. If you can't learn a breastroke (frog) kick in time, then slow the flutter kick way down and only kick when you arms are returning to the front to keep some momentum going.

Assuming you can start by pushing off the wall, practice the push off and see how far you can get. When you've maxed out this distance, start adding one pull at the end of the glide. You should be able to get nearly half your distance one just one stroke. Then add some kicks and an arm recovery (arms to front) and one more pull and glide.

Since you are starting with shorter distances, you won't have to worry about running out of air, which should help you relax. Just keep adding one stroke at at time and you'll be at 20 yards in no time.

Good luck.

I still think you need to go to the gym more than anything else. Dont get me wrong, you look great in your pics, but all this nonsense about how to breath is getting out of hand. You arent going to be holding your breath for 2 minutes. You need to work on physical capacity to swim the distance, not static apnea record breaking technique.

~Marlinspike

The information here is becoming contradictory - especially from people who don't freedive on a regular basis.

I think you biggest challenge is going to be comfort in the water no matter what anyone else says. If you exhibit anxiety, your comfort level will not allow you to accomplish your goal. You should be getting into shape Cate... Don't worry about the breathing technique until you are comfortable in the water. Swim laps, do cardio, keep stretching. Breathing will help, but it is no substitute for physical conditioning.

And according to Umberto's book, you should practice "B" just before your attempt. 4 count inhale, 8 count exhale

Well, since I leave for my course in 9 days, getting into shape is not an option. :wink: (Although, as silly as it may sound, I do think I'll make some breath-holding progress by briskly marching in place, and holding the side of the pool face down and kicking.)

I have a private swimming lesson coming up this Saturday with a great instructor so hopefully I can learn the frog kick -- or a reasonable facsmilie -- in time before I go.

lowwall,

I'm already using your suggestion in regards to the flutter kick -- I only try to use it once I feel I'm starting to slow down. I believe I probably can complete my 20M using it, but the frog kick would be easier, of course.

I agree that anxiety is my main drawback. Fortunately, I have an extremely patient and understanding instructor who'll do his best to help. :)

I think you'll be ok. Can't wait for you to get the certification. Let us know how it goes :D

Vayu:
I think you'll be ok. Can't wait for you to get the certification. Let us know how it goes :D

Thanks for the kind words, Vayu! I'll keep you posted. :)

annasea:
Well, since I leave for my course in 9 days, getting into shape is not an option. :wink:

Nonsense. You would be surprised what you can achieve in 1 week. You have plenty of time.

~Marlinspike

annasea:
Well, since I leave for my course in 9 days, getting into shape is not an option. :wink: ...

I agree that anxiety is my main drawback.

9 days is plenty of time. Swimming is not something we do naturally, so you can improve a great deal just by getting your body used to the motions. Just get some swimming meters in. While you are swimming, work on staying streamlined, doing powerful pulls and maximizing the glide. You do not want to work on speed, doubling your speed in water requires an eightfold increase in power - the energy from that increase comes directly out of your oxygen supplies.

A couple tips on dealing with the anxiety while breathholding. First, do some breathholding while swimming on the surface. Since you can get air by just lifting your head, your body won't have any cause to panic. Second, do the push off and add a stroke at a time practice I mentioned in my last post.

Here's a sample workout that will probably take 30-45 minutes. I'm assuming you have a 25M (or yard) pool, if not adjust as necessary. I'd try to do this at least 3 or 4 times before you go, with more being better. If you find this is too hard, cut down the number of repetitions of each set.

warmup - 4 lengths easy without stopping

technique work
- swim 1 length, rest 30 seconds, repeat for 8 times total
- swim 2 lengths, rest 60 seconds, 4 sets

breath work - rest at least 60 seconds between each swim, breathe normally while resting
- on surface, concentrating on form push off and swim as far as you can without breathing, catch your breath and finish length, repeat 6 times
- underwater, concentrating on form push off and glide as far as you can, return to wall and repeat 5 times
- underwater, concentrating on form push off, glide, take one stroke and glide as far as you can, return to wall and repeat 5 times
- repeat adding strokes until you feel you are getting to your breathholding limit, the idea here is to work on your technique and comfort underwater, not to go for your distance record

distance attempt
- go for max distance using tips from previous posts, 2 or 3 tries with plenty of rest

warmdown - 4 lengths easy without stopping

If you haven't reached the 20M by then, on the last day before you leave, do the distance attempt right after the warmup so you are still fresh. I bet you won't have any trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom