Breath Holding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, you are saying just breathing against resistance?

I am not sure who they are because I did not set it up.

The shot I really want is the classic Hawaiian freediver with a sling. Maybe I can look through a mag for some composition ideas.

catherine96821:
So, you are saying just breathing against resistance?

I am not sure who they are because I did not set it up.

The shot I really want is the classic Hawaiian freediver with a sling. Maybe I can look through a mag for some composition ideas.

Precisely. Breathing against resistance utilizing the overload principle. A coffee straw just doesn't offer the great color and mouthpiece.

I actually tried the whole straw thing for a few days and just didn't find it to really work and I was drooling like crazy! I thought by cutting the straw to different lengths I could vary resistance but it didn't feel very different. So I went ahead and bought the Expand-a-Lung and think it works much better, beyond the fact that it has a mouthpeice. You can adjust the resistance a lot harder than any straw could offer so as your lungs get stronger, the more resistance you can add. I felt limited by the straw and didn't mind forking our 20 bucks for it. But might as well try the free method first.

jewey4:
I actually tried the whole straw thing for a few days and just didn't find it to really work and I was drooling like crazy! I thought by cutting the straw to different lengths I could vary resistance but it didn't feel very different. So I went ahead and bought the Expand-a-Lung and think it works much better, beyond the fact that it has a mouthpeice. You can adjust the resistance a lot harder than any straw could offer so as your lungs get stronger, the more resistance you can add. I felt limited by the straw and didn't mind forking our 20 bucks for it. But might as well try the free method first.

ROFL! Drooling like crazy? You might want to have that seen about! :D
Granted, the straw is not ideal and I do have the other trainers, it's just that....well....people don't stare so wildly with a coffee straw hanging out of the mouth as I'm driving down the road. Great point though....try the freebie first and if to no avail......move to another.

I'm still laughing at the drool comment, that is hilarious!

does anyone know of a technique to hold ur breath underwater for a long time because i know some people who dive for 4 minutes without any air.

lilfret:
does anyone know of a technique to hold ur breath underwater for a long time because i know some people who dive for 4 minutes without any air.

thats pretty common for the hardcore freediver

Ya know I had to laugh a little when I saw that Expand-A-Lung thingy, but then I remembered that I played trumpet for a number of years, and I do have some pretty decent freediving dwell times for a landlubber. But the trumpet only gives breathing resistance on the exhale, not on the inhale. Do you freedivers think resistance on the inhale is as effective at stretching the lungs as the exhale?

fishoutawater:
Ya know I had to laugh a little when I saw that Expand-A-Lung thingy, but then I remembered that I played trumpet for a number of years, and I do have some pretty decent freediving dwell times for a landlubber. But the trumpet only gives breathing resistance on the exhale, not on the inhale. Do you freedivers think resistance on the inhale is as effective at stretching the lungs as the exhale?
Absolutely! You are working the muscle referred to as the diaphragm. You want to take the muscle through the entire range of motion. Sorta like doing a bicep curl in which you are flexing the arm. You should focus just as much on the extension. A well developed diaphragm will result in a more effective breath being taken among other benefits.

Very interesting Freediver.
So, do you use the device during just breathing exercises, or, do you also use it while doing cardio work?
And would this be the same as hypoxic drills, where you try to force your body to make due with less O2? I'd read that hypoxic drills are supposed to increase the amount of hemoglobin in your blood, which as I understand it, it's the hemoglobin in blood that actually carries the oxygen.
Ever tried swimming with that thing in your mouth? I'm afraid I'd forget, and try to breathe through it like a snorkel (face down). :11:

Pics of RIFFE divers? Are you referring to the family? That would be neat![/QUOTE]

Just to get back to you freediver, It was Jill Riffe and some Riffe sponsored divers here for a contest. I posted the pics in Hawaii Ohana under Riffe freedivers.

Back
Top Bottom