breathing O2 after a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551:
I recently got hold of a O2 bottle, and i was wondering if breathing it will help me off gas a little quicker and give me more energy for the drive home and the rest of the day? what about in between dives? will i be able(not that i need to) to lower my pressure group?

I suppose if one wanted to apply ratio deco principles to this, breathing pure O2 on the surface should theoretically equate to about a 4X faster offgassing than breathing air. Although anyone wanting to try the theory out would be treading into unknown territory and could come out fine or get bent like a pretzel.

Save it for emergencies. Buy a demand regulator and mask and put it in your emergency kit. Save it for suspected DCI. Take the O2 provider course from DAN. It will fit in nicely with your emt training.

DandyDon:
In summary Jorbar1551, forget it. Not a part of save diving protocols, but if you ever need treatment - seek professional help.

BTW, your old dive profile is out of date. Need to update your new one.

:confused: What...?

"O2 and Deisel"

In other words......
Get them on O2 and transport them.

Thalassamania:
I have a table for that somewhere in my files. The only entry I can quote from memory is two hours of pure oxygen at the surface takes you from USN-N to USN-A. One way to figure it out is to use deco software at 1ata/100% O2.
Interesting; it makes sense that someone went down this road before, especially since its USN tables we're talking about :D. And since many divers do dive USN tables I guess that punches a neat hole in my "not easily using conventional diving tables" assertion too. :coffee:

Jorbar1551:
I recently got hold of a O2 bottle, and i was wondering if breathing it will help me off gas a little quicker and give me more energy for the drive home and the rest of the day? what about in between dives? will i be able(not that i need to) to lower my pressure group?

IS off gassing too quick dangerous?
Actually it IS possible to use oxygen this way. You can use it to shorten your surface interval, as well as guard against the onset of DCS symptoms following a 'missed deco' scenario (within reason of course). Several years ago this very topic was researched by DAN/Duke University Hyperbarics. I can say that with certainty, since I was a research subject.

There was a thread about this on The Deco Stop a while back. You can find it here. I know that cross-posting is normally frowned upon, but one of the guys from Duke waded in and gave direct references to the study results and I don't want to risk misquoting him. The references I mentioned are on page two of the thread and there are web links for most, if not all, of them.

I also know that it was once possible to get desktop decompression software to model this. I'm using V-Planner these days, and I haven't tried this, so I don't know if it will work. But other packages might.

As others have pointed out, it would be best to seek training on this too (if you don't already have it.) And of course, I'm not a doctor so don't construe any of this as medical advice. If you try it, you may get tweaked......

Brian

Jorbar1551:

IS off gassing too quick dangerous?
======================================

Don't know the answer to your question but I experienced that practice years ago while diving with Key West Divers. Captain Billy Deans was teaching a wreck course to some tech divers and I was invited to go along ...eventhough I didn't penetrate the wreck. He had briefed us before hand that there would be some green O2 cylinders with long whip hoses and second stages hanging at about 20 feet. We were all encouraged to spend about 5 minutes "scrubbing" off our excess CO2 before surfacing.

Seemed like a good idea at the time. I never questioned it and never experienced any adverse effects.

'Slogger

Footslogger:
======================================

Don't know the answer to your question but I experienced that practice years ago while diving with Key West Divers. Captain Billy Deans was teaching a wreck course to some tech divers and I was invited to go along ...eventhough I didn't penetrate the wreck. He had briefed us before hand that there would be some green O2 cylinders with long whip hoses and second stages hanging at about 20 feet. We were all encouraged to spend about 5 minutes "scrubbing" off our excess CO2 before surfacing.

Seemed like a good idea at the time. I never questioned it and never experienced any adverse effects.

'Slogger
I hope that's an oops misquote...? :confused:

DandyDon:
I hope that's an oops misquote...? :confused:
CO2, N2 what's the dif?<G>

I can just picture a diver driving home after a dive wearing an O2 mask hmmmm....

Excersize (on none dive days), hydration and longer surface interval will make you feel better after diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom