Breathing rate, air integrated computers and DCI correlation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ianr33:

Non vigorous is simple moving your arms and legs every few minutes. eg, walking around on the boat. Vigorous is strenuous such as climbing boat ladders or hauling air cylinders. Strenuous work can generate nuclei or enlarge those already present. Work following a dive is often connected with DCS events.

Ianr33:

Non vigorous is simple moving your arms and legs every few minutes. eg, walking around on the boat. Vigorous is strenuous such as climbing boat ladders or hauling air cylinders. Strenuous work can generate nuclei or enlarge those already present. Work following a dive is often connected with DCS events.

I'd add trying to have a reasoned exchange with BD to the Strenuous Work category

On a recent thread that mentioned the raised arm giving a false quick ascent alarm, someone who seemed to be in the know asserted that most modern computers have already dealt with this by not giving an alarm unless the rapid ascent continues past a certain minimum distance. I have no idea if this is true myself, and I frankly don't care.

For most it should be in the manual. I know my bottom timer will display a fast ascent rate icon if you ascend too fast but only store it in the log if it continues longer than a pre-specified time frame.

Non vigorous is simple moving your arms and legs every few minutes. eg, walking around on the boat. Vigorous is strenuous such as climbing boat ladders or hauling air cylinders. Strenuous work can generate nuclei or enlarge those already present.
Certainly, vigorous is strenuous such as moving through water with SCUBA gear for 10 or more minutes, especially against even a mild current. Strenuous exercise occurs on most recreational dives. Personally, I enjoy having a little workout during a dive.
Work following a dive is often connected with DCS events.
Agreed!

As I pointed out early, a diver's heart rate may double just getting back on the boat.

Last edited:
Beaverdivers, why would I need that? I don't dive in such a way as to get my heart rate up. I'm into zen diving.
What is your lowest heart rate ( HR ) during a dive?

What is your ave. HR during a dive?

What is your Max. HR during a dive?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A large number of posts that are either bickering and/or off-topic and/or personal attacks have been deleted. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Last edited:
These are the questions I haave been asking in my other posts about the Scubapro/Uwatec computers. You can set the MB levels but NOWHERE in their manuals do they state how the "Work" setting is factored into the equation. It is there, and yes working during diving WILL make you more sensitive to DCI/DCS due to the increased gas exchange via the lungs. But the manufacturer does not state this as the +/- of the setting.

Beaverdivers, I am a "Scubapro snob" too and throughly enjoy using their breathing equipment. However, I'm not sure that their computers are the best out there. Also, and a diving physician and a practicing anesthesiologist, I would strongly recommend you either attend a future Undersea Hyberbaric Medical Society (UMHS) or DAN (you should know that one) educational meeting and learn a little bit more about DCI/DCS and microbubbles before you openly state that they are only theoretical. There are more than enough medical papers out there and cases of DCI/DCS after completely "safe" dives to prove that statement as absolutely false!

These are the questions I haave been asking in my other posts about the Scubapro/Uwatec computers. You can set the MB levels but NOWHERE in their manuals do they state how the "Work" setting is factored into the equation. It is there, and yes working during diving WILL make you more sensitive to DCI/DCS due to the increased gas exchange via the lungs. But the manufacturer does not state this as the +/- of the setting.

Beaverdivers, I am a "Scubapro snob" too and throughly enjoy using their breathing equipment. However, I'm not sure that their computers are the best out there.

If you want an AI wireless computer, the Galileo is still one of the best out there. In this class there is not a lot of competition. By the way I have mine set the MB 1 as I found that setting it to 2 was putting me into level stops out of step with everyone else diving in Cozumel. And I have my workload set to heart rate only. Setting workload to breathing was causing too many high workload alarms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom