Brinyte DIV10 "3000 Lumen" Canister light Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seem like Brinyte isn't really into making a decent dive light....

"3 led a little hard"
really?! How come many many dive light manufacturers can do it with the correct result of light beem then? :)

I would give Brinyte some credit. Consider the Div10 is their early attempt, I think they did a good job especially for the cost. Change a few thing, it can be a very usable light. I have done a few changes myself:

1) replace goodman handle to a LM handle. The default Brinyte handle is just too wide
2) change cable to a softer one and shorter.

I want to change cable glands as well, but I can't find the proper size in US. Other than that, I am OK with the switch. I am more than happy with the light output and multipe power setting. Beam could be narrower. From what I have read, improving manufacturing consistency would have given your brand a much better reputation.

I would give Brinyte some credit. Consider the Div10 is their early attempt, I think they did a good job especially for the cost. Change a few thing, it can be a very usable light. I have done a few changes myself:

1) replace goodman handle to a LM handle. The default Brinyte handle is just too wide

I want to change cable glands as well, but I can't find the proper size in US. Other than that, I am OK with the switch. I am more than happy with the light output and multipe power setting. Beam could be narrower. From what I have read, improving manufacturing consistency would have given your brand a much better reputation.

Hi,
May I ask how did you manage to change the cable? Is it a complicated or risky job, and where can one get the replacement cable?

Thank you!

Replacement cable can be bought at Homedepot. It is actually not a complicated job at all. The most difficult part is loosen the glue without damaging other things. Once glue is loosen, everything is quite simple. Some soldering is involve. My back ground is EE, so it wasn't bad.

1. To wide ?? Not for us coldwater divers using drygloves.

2. No... it's pretty good length for a DIR setup.

The cable and glands "can" be changed but don't... everything is glued together solid.

Replacement cable can be bought at Homedepot. It is actually not a complicated job at all. The most difficult part is loosen the glue without damaging other things. Once glue is loosen, everything is quite simple. Some soldering is involve. My back ground is EE, so it wasn't bad.

Ah I see, thanks. Sounds totally out of my reach.

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 05:42 PM ----------

The cable and glands "can" be changed but don't... everything is glued together solid.

Maybe you have very long arms, but I am 5' 9" and the cord length is definitely too long for me. Even with arms fully outstretched, the cord has a lot of slack below my body that will catch onto things, especially not very good inside a wreck.

I've used the Halcyon Focus, and the cord length is just nice for me. It just stops short of me being able to stretch my arms fully forwards, so if I wanted zero slack when going through a restriction, all I need to do is to stretch my left arm.

⁄(⁄ ⁄•⁄ω⁄•⁄ &#8260:wink:⁄ To narrower beam, the reflector angle must be adjusted, then the drop in module/head size and other parts maybe all need changed. At last, it's a new flashlight.

Seem like Brinyte isn't really into making a decent dive light....

"3 led a little hard"
really?! How come many many dive light manufacturers can do it with the correct result of light beem then? :)

Something strange to dive light producers :

Have you ever thought to make a diving light more open more affordable to the DIY users , more repairable ..... ''open source diving light ''

Even selling your own brand and same time selling parts like drop-in modules , cables , battery packs .

( for less work you would have more traffic and more $$ (you don't have to assembly product ) and also WE have toys to play with )

It looks strange and insane but business line shows opposite :

- that's why have for instance maglite lights so many modders and imitators (even mods for scuba use )

- thats happened with yours Brinyte DIV02 (or TillyTec ? backup light ) which still live many lives under different names (for instance LED One from Ammonite )

- same thing was made at programs branch ( windows 10 will be temporary free 1 year , CAD programs , even photo programs ) or engines (like Harley )

-point is to cover market with your prudust which is quality but same time you have so many options (producer , seller and costumer )

Ah I see, thanks. Sounds totally out of my reach.

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 05:42 PM ----------

Maybe you have very long arms, but I am 5' 9" and the cord length is definitely too long for me. Even with arms fully outstretched, the cord has a lot of slack below my body that will catch onto things, especially not very good inside a wreck.

I've used the Halcyon Focus, and the cord length is just nice for me. It just stops short of me being able to stretch my arms fully forwards, so if I wanted zero slack when going through a restriction, all I need to do is to stretch my left arm.
Hmmm. Okey i might be wrong about the length.. could remember it being good when mounted in a DIR setup..
Think I'm about 5'8", so no long arms here :)

---------- Post added June 23rd, 2015 at 01:11 PM ----------

⁄(⁄ ⁄•⁄ω⁄•⁄ &#8260:wink:⁄ To narrower beam, the reflector angle must be adjusted, then the drop in module/head size and other parts maybe all need changed. At last, it's a new flashlight.
You need to look at better reflectors than the "stock" ones, and maybe a bit more better angled led's. I belive the head size is good size as it would fit what you would need for this to happen.
More high end lights have even smaller heads, and make it work..

---------- Post added June 23rd, 2015 at 01:18 PM ----------

Remember that the " overspray " light for instance comes from the center of the led, not the outer edge of the led...
Think you have to look for more modern designs when it comes to the light column.. f.eks a Fresnel lens, or similar. A regular reflector i think is on it's way out when it comes to led's.

Yes, too wide. I loaned the light to a few local GUE diver to try. All said handle to wide and cord too long. We dive in 45-55F water, so already thick/dry gloves. Some old picture during my modification to come.

As to thing glue together, yes, it is a pitty to get it off. I did break a few plastic piece. When I say I want to change the gland, I actually did change to the same plastic type. They are all I can find in US. My original goal is to change them to Agro type of glands, but I can't find them in Metric in US.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom