buddy dive incident - don't know if this is true or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to nit pick or beat a dead horse, but was this part of a check out dive? I was under the impression that you could not rent tanks or do any diving etc. until you passed a buoyancy check. I have this mental image a petulant diver refusing to abort the failed dive attempt and swimming to land like he was escaping Alcatraz in order to make damn sure he was going to dive. Totally mashugana!

Not to nit pick or beat a dead horse, but was this part of a check out dive? I was under the impression that you could not rent tanks or do any diving etc. until you passed a buoyancy check. I have this mental image a petulant diver refusing to abort the failed dive attempt and swimming to land like he was escaping Alcatraz in order to make damn sure he was going to dive. Totally mashugana!
I suspect the dive was over Buddy Reef as the required orientation dive, and that dive 2 would have been on Klein.

My understanding and personal observation is that the boats with tanks leave buddy dive early in the morning, pick up the divers from the dock south of downtown and drive the divers back to buddy dive where they tie off to a mooring on the buddy dive reef near the resort and do dive 1 / check dive. They then go to Klein or elsewhere to do the second dive. After that, they take them back to the dock. While I was there, one of the staff told me that the cruise ship divers never go on shore to the resort under normal operations.

Checked with a friend at Buddy Dive. It was a cruise ship diver who had buoyancy issues on the boat, aborted the dive, was brought back to the boat by DM and then insisted on swimming to shore and do the dive "ALONE" from shore, of course it was denied and then the story turned into this.
Took place on Buddy Reef.

Rather a different story!
I'm confused. The diver had bouyancy issues on the boat? Or on the surface immediately after splashing in? What were the issues, and were any attempts made to help resolve them? Why did the diver think going from shore would be better?

I'm thinking of my last dive on Catalina; I asked for 20 lbs. of lead, which is what I've used every time I've dived in a 7mm (I've always rented my gear), but this last time, (maybe because they gave me a newer wetsuit?) I couldn't get down. Luckily the guide had some extra weight; another 2 lb. and I was good to go. I would be annoyed if I missed out on not just one, but two dives I paid for, just because I underestimated the amount of weight I'd need in rental gear. Not assuming that's what happened here; I just don't understand this version of the story at all.

I'm confused. The diver had bouyancy issues on the boat? Or on the surface immediately after splashing in? What were the issues, and were any attempts made to help resolve them? Why did the diver think going from shore would be better?

I'm thinking of my last dive on Catalina; I asked for 20 lbs. of lead, which is what I've used every time I've dived in a 7mm (I've always rented my gear), but this last time, (maybe because they gave me a newer wetsuit?) I couldn't get down. Luckily the guide had some extra weight; another 2 lb. and I was good to go. I would be annoyed if I missed out on not just one, but two dives I paid for, just because I underestimated the amount of weight I'd need in rental gear. Not assuming that's what happened here; I just don't understand this version of the story at all.
I'm sorry you are confused. I have no further info.

Reactions: Zef

Good questions! As with most accident and incident analyses, it's best to start with a summary of the known facts of the case before proceeding further:

1) There is a negative review about Buddy Dive posted on TripAdvisor.com from a user account with the name "Angela Gaxiola".

2) Angela Gaxiola is a "cruise ship diver".

I've watched enough of those on Bonaire to know what that means.

Got me. I'm old and my brain doesn't work so good anymore.

Back
Top Bottom