Buoyant Backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why are you trying to make it positive?

One of the other posters posted a thread the OP started in another section. Basically, the OP is looking for a way to "lighten" steel LP 85 doubles so he can swim them up from the bottom. In the other thread, people recommended redundant buoyancy in the form of a dry suit, dual bladder wing, or lift bag. It seems he asked the question more than once.

One of the other posters posted a thread the OP started in another section. Basically, the OP is looking for a way to "lighten" steel LP 85 doubles so he can swim them up from the bottom. In the other thread, people recommended redundant buoyancy in the form of a dry suit, dual bladder wing, or lift bag. It seems he asked the question more than once.
Switch to twin aluminum 80’s and use an aluminum plate.

I'm afraid that he thinks that a custom/never before made backplate for about 800-1000 US$ is going to be cheaper than selling his heavy doubles and buying the right tanks.
Remember, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
Michael

down there on the right, used that bakpak with doubles, it's hollow I plugged the holes and made it buoyant

full.jpg

thing is I filled it with lead shot first

BPW and the holes for the bands 8 1/4 centres

full.jpg

see the curved bands that fit where the single tank fits

full.jpg

a bit pokey outey don't you think, where if you use standard bands
the bak pack fits between the tanks and depending on the bakpak
sits flush with the tanks so the whole thing is flat against the back

almost toasty comfy and very excellent when using for twin hose
mmmmmm

people recommended redundant buoyancy in the form of a dry suit, dual bladder wing, or lift bag.

I have a dual bladder wing now and a lift bag. I cannot afford a drysuit at this time. I don't want aluminum tanks.

Piranha sells some plastic backplates that may be positive. I am not sure it would work for doubles. I would give Randy a call.
Cool find. $14.99, supports doubles, and only 11oz!

Cool find. $14.99, supports doubles, and only 11oz!

Piranha is a good company to deal with and has some great products at great prices. The only drawback is their website is not as slick as some of the bigger players, so sometimes is makes items hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom