Buoyant Backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there a current model stiff backplate made of carbon fiber or plastic or something lightweight and thick enough that it is designed to add a few pounds of positive buoyancy to one's rig?

Piranha sells some plastic backplates that may be positive. I am not sure it would work for doubles. I would give Randy a call.

I believe the carbon one by Halcyon is -1 for standard plate size. But once you add rings, buckles, and harness would become more than that.

Maybe the apeks ultralight. It is semi rigid. Do not know the exact buoyancy of it. I'd guess 0 to +1.

Photographers use crush resistant foam as buoyancy for their camera rigs. You might add some to a light backplate.

What prompts you to want it?

I know that you asked about a backplate specifically, but if a BCD will meet your needs, I had a Cressi Air Travel (back inflate) BCD that was about 4lbs positive. I don't know if that would help or not.

carbon fiber is inherently negatively buoyant. The carbon is about 2x as dense as water, and the composite itself is about 1.4-1.6x that of water. It will not float unless you put air pockets inside of it.
Why are you trying to make it positive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom