Buying a Bare "Nex Gen"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Posiedon

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all...
I was hoping a could get some info on the Nex Gen
I know its doesn't have allot of bells and whistles...but does it work...
- Can a comforably wear both 200 and 400
- Does it stay dry
- any known problems?
- and suggestions
-etc

Any input is greatly appreciated...thanks

There's one sitting next to, funnily enough, a CF200 at my LDS. I checked it out a couple days ago after I picked up some tanks. Seemed like a quality suit, but the most impressive thing was how tough the fabric seemed. Looks like a nicely tailored suit.

Let me begin by thank you for the reply.

I'm gald to hear that the material appears to be somewhat durable. This is going to be my first dry suit and I would like it to last for quite some time. Do you know of anyone who as used the suit?

I have the Nex-Gen and I think it's better than diving in cold water with a wetsuit. I have never had a leak and it has seemed to hold up fine so far. If you are thinking about doing any technical stuff, this may not be the suit for you. The material is pretty thin and it is an entry level suit. I like to call it the "Hefty Bag Supreme" since it is a big bag of air, and the quality is much less than a DUI and the fit is not that great. If you are on a very tight budget, than I would look at getting a Nex-Gen, or even the Whites. If you have the money to spend, I would spend the extra money and get a DUI.

and it seemed to do the trick but was pretty baggy, especially for me since I'm short. I dove it a few times and thought it would be a good first dry suit.

However, I decided to get one custom cut since the Next-Gen was so baggy and unfortunately BARE doesnt' do that with the Next-Gen, or I"m told their ATR-Light. I ended up getting an ATR-HD which is just a great suit, very durable. However if I could do it over again I'd get the wrist dump instead of the shoulder dump and get rid of the stupid gaiters!

Tony

Thanks for the info. everyone, any suggestions on another suit under $1000 that are really reliable for all around diving?

I have a Typhoon (UK brand) suit I bought from Divers Supply - it's a front entry trilam/cordura suit with attached boots and latex seals - tough as nails. Only trouble is finding a stock size that will fit you - Typhoon have this idea that if you're tall you must be really fat.

There's a picture of it in my profile photo. Sometimes they will sell them on eBay at a massive discount to the retail price - I paid $550 or so for mine.

It's a toughness that I don't have any concerns about tearing or puncturing (except the latex seals).

I've had one for over a year and everything the others have said is true. My main complaint is the baggy legs. They're hardly cavecut, but for the price it's pretty hard to beat. If you're like me and just don't do enuf cold water diving to blow the bank account on a DUI or somesuch, then go for the NextGen. I've had no regrets.

JF

I have about 20 dives on a Nex-Gen and have no complaints. I spent a lot of time studying the issues before I bought since it is a lot of money. I was concerned because the Nex-Gen was so much cheaper than everything else. I was told by several people that it is a good suit, however you should only expect to get about 100 dives out of it. Price was the deciding factor at $500. In comparison my wife found that Andys fit her best and the LDS had a special with drysuit, underwear and hood for $1000. In comparing the material you can tell the Andys has a thicker shell.

As for fit I did try on about 5 different brands, I certainly didn't want to sacrifice fit for $. Surprisingly the Nex-Gen fit me best off the rack.

Bill.

I also got the nex gen and love it. About 60 dives mostly fresh water and it looks almost new. Mine doesn't seem baggy at all on me and I really like the exhaust valve position and amount of air it can vent (lots better than my neoprene suit). I had thought 100-200 dives would be all it could handle but it is really holding up well and I'm thinking I'll get more out of it then that.
I would suggest getting the rock boots with it too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom