Buying a New Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba kbell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at a few different regulators and would like some feedback. I am replacing my US Divers Aquarius regulator, and I know anything will probably be better performace. I mostly dive in warm water but every so often I may dive home in NJ. I have narrowed it down to a few Aqua Lung and Scubapro regulators especially since I can service it locally. I am trying to also keep the price low if possible, but I want something reliable. So does anyone have any thoughts about the following:

Aqua Lung Titan (is it worth going up to the Titan LX model?)
ScubaPro Mk11 or Mk17 (Also, saw the Mk25 on sale for less than the Mk17 so I may investigate that one too; and how do you feel about the S555 v G250V since the Mk17 comes in both).

Thank you for any feedback. :cool2:

Another reg review......

AQUA LUNG Titan LX | Scuba Diving Magazine

The Titan LX was the winner in the under $500 category......

Our son has a AL Titan, darling bride dives a SP MK25/S550........both good solid regs.......

I think the AL is cheaper...........but only has 1 HP port.....for me one is enough but others prefer 2.......

Hope this helps.........M

The Titan LX second stage is identical to the Legend second stage without the inhalation adjustment knob on the side. FWIW, with regard to the second stage alone, the Titan LX = Titan LX Supreme = Legend = Legend Supreme = Legend Octopus = LX Octopus. The only difference among these second stages is cosmetic (only exception being the cold water lipshield in the Supreme second stages). You will find differences, however, between the Titan and Legend first stages.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to take a serious look at the HOG regs.

I know NJ waters well - and see that you're attracted to AquaLung's and ScubaPro's sealed, coldwater regs. Very appropriate for those waters!

The MK25 is NOT a sealed diaphragm regulator. I would not recommend it for dirty, silty, or contaminated environments.

In sticking with sealed diaphragm and coldwater regs, I would also recommend Apeks regs (owned by AquaLung, and essentially their "high line" offering - similar to the way that Acura is a high-line Honda and Audi is a high-line VW).

The "new kid on the block" is a set of regs that are virtual clones of the Apeks ATX-style regs, of which I have many and have been exceedingly happy with. These are called "HOG" regs, and are based out of Macon, GA.

I've seen a set apart already, and I can tell you that they're nothing shy of impressive. Of course, they are also dry sealed, diaphragm regs appropriate for cold and/or contaminated waters.

Check out a recent review: Edge/HOG regulators...??? - Reef Central Online Community

What's even better about them is the price. )

EDIT: Hahahahaaaa... I was just going to PM you, Tim, and tell you to let this guy know about the new regs you just bought... :D Great minds... :D

The "new kid on the block" is a set of regs that are virtual clones of the Apeks ATX-style regs, of which I have many and have been exceedingly happy with. These are called "HOG" regs, and are based out of Macon, GA.

I've seen a set apart already, and I can tell you that they're nothing shy of impressive. Of course, they are also dry sealed, diaphragm regs appropriate for cold and/or contaminated waters.
If the HOG regs are "virtual clones" of the Apeks ATX regs, then do the HOG reg second stage kits work for overhauling Apeks second stages? I'm curious about the first stage kits, too. You realize why I'm asking, right? :D

This could be the best thing that ever happened to Apeks reg DIYers...

SeaJay didn't mention what is likely the best feature of the HOG regs, which is that they (Edge Gear) are offering Tech Level training for anyone that wants to be able to buy the parts kits and maintain their own HOG regs... Umm, YES PLEASE! :cool2:

You can also find the 2nd stage regs for as little as $99 each, which is insane compared to the others out there.

"Dive Right In Scuba" is offering the rebuild kits:
{edit}
I forgot to mention that I was told the other day that the newest revision of the D1 1st stage regs will have a 5th LP port on the end, for better routing when used with doubles. :)

Back
Top Bottom