Buying a New Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I scaned the reviews......

I dive Poseidon Xstreams as my cold water reg.....

The reviewers did not seem to like it........I love mine.....

To each their own I guess........

M

I went to the review posted above and found many of their reviews to sound in contrast to what I've read. Specifically the Oasis which upon reading many many prior reviews indicated it was a decent breather and no flooding and to read the review above you would think I'd be better off breathing through a straw. What gives?

One thing I noticed about the reviews in that link is that at the top it says "Appeared in DIVER July 2006." Models have probably changed a bit since then. I know the Aqua Lung Titan LX was changed in 2009.

One thing I noticed about the reviews in that link is that at the top it says "Appeared in DIVER July 2006." Models have probably changed a bit since then. I know the Aqua Lung Titan LX was changed in 2009.

....remember, the scuba dive mags don't do new regs tests all the time, so you have to work with what information you have at hand......also, although the test I referenced happened in 2006, regs tend to not change very much with time.....and just like a new year 2010 car, why bother doing a new test on a 2010 model car if the only difference between the 2010 model and the 2008 model is a redesign of the hood ornament ?

The Titan LX 2nd-stage really is the same 2nd-stage now as it was back in 2006...they have redesigned the unit's 1st-stage though......remember, among other things, you are looking for a pattern of quality...meaning that if the 2006 version tested out really well, it's probably a good guess that the 2010 will be pretty good too, and probably even better.

Also, if you don't want to chance a 2010 Titan LX, there are still ways to buy the 'pre-2009' version.....there's overstock on the 'old' version out there, as well as E-Bay.

Among my fleet of regs is an older Titan LX.....it's usually the back up reg I bring on trips......and I've loaned it out to other divers on several trips to save their expensive vacations when their own regs crapped out on them. I don't use the Titan LX as a primary reg for a couple of reasons......I like having more than one HP port on the 1st-stage, and I own a number of spendy Apeks XTX200 (2) and Atomic regs (M1 / T2), which are 'better' than the Titan LX performance wise...that being said, my spendy regs cost substantially more than the Titan LX...the Titan LX is a perfectly fine performer, especially in it's price range....it's a very mature, proven, reliable design, parts + service widely available.....a good balance between $ and performance.

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I did look into the HOG regulators as suggested, but I do not think it will work for me. I do not plan on doing my own regulator service and I do not have a LDS that would service one.
I am leaning more towards the Aqua Lung Titan LX. I am ok with only having 1 HP port. Since this is my first regulator purchase (my US Divers Aquarius I got 6 years ago for free... :wink: ), I may be a bit naive. So, are there any problems using my current backup octopus and HP gauges with newer equipment?

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I did look into the HOG regulators as suggested, but I do not think it will work for me. I do not plan on doing my own regulator service and I do not have a LDS that would service one.
I am leaning more towards the Aqua Lung Titan LX. I am ok with only having 1 HP port. Since this is my first regulator purchase (my US Divers Aquarius I got 6 years ago for free... :wink: ), I may be a bit naive. So, are there any problems using my current backup octopus and HP gauges with newer equipment?

1) There are plenty of places that will service the HOGS if your LDS won't work on them, but you would have to ship them off to have the service done. Divers Supply, Dive Right In Scuba and TDL are three that immediately come to mind.

2) As long at the port sizes for your hoses are the current standard, there's no problem at all with using your older gauges and Alt Second.

-Tim

Out of your selections, I would go with the Titan and preferably the LX model. I'd actually try to steer you into an Apeks, but that wasn't on the list. Whatever choice you make, use it safely and enjoy!

There ARE no LDSes yet that will service Edge/HOG regulators... There are no Edge/HOG distributors yet. The company is too new.

For annual service, you'd simply send them back to the manufacturer in Macon, GA. There, they'd be serviced, and sent back to you.

...Which is exactly what would happen at 90% of the dive shops out there, anyway, regardless of what brand/model reg you chose. Most shops don't do their own service, which is to say that they, too, simply ship them and then charge you for it.

Optionally, you could learn to service them yourself... Interesting because no other manufacturer encourages that like Edge/HOG does. I am not aware of any other manufacturer offering annual service classes and spare parts like Edge/HOG does.

...So if you've made your decision, then so be it... I'm not trying to talk you into anything else. I'm just mentioning that what you're perceiving to be a disadvantage isn't.

The only thing you'd have to worry about is whether or not all of the hoses fit the ports (in general, they do, and if they don't, then you can adapt) and if the intermmediate pressures are the same (in most cases, they are or can be adjusted to be the same by a good technician).

With regards to performance - this is something I hear very often, and is a very misunderstood concept. Here's the truth about performance:

Within reason, a good technician can pretty much adjust any regulator to breathe any way he/she wants. There are adjustments for cracking pressure (how hard you have to suck to get the air flow to begin) and breathing effort on most regulators... Making most WOB tests totally a moot point. There's also other adjustments, too, including an intermmediate pressure adjustment on the first stage, which does a variety of things.

Of course, it's natural to believe that adjustments should be set such that effort of breathing is zero and that cracking pressure be set super-sensitive. The problem with that is that this makes regs very prone to freeflow and have a "positive pressure" feeling that's unnatural, uncomfortable, and tends to increase a diver's gas consumption.

...So the technician's idea is to achieve a "happy medium" between a regulator that resists freeflow, feels natural to breathe on, and delivers as much gas as the diver needs - all equally well. Higher quality regulators will have a wider range of adjustment, and tend to keep that adjustment better than cheaper regs... That is, there is a larger range of "happy medium" available in better regs, and many times the "happy medium" can be fine-tuned by the diver during the dive. Cheaper regs don't have "on-the-fly" adjustments (require tools and disassembly to make adjustments) and tend not to keep their adjustments very well.

Most experienced divers will tend to "detune" regulators - that is, make them breathe much "tighter" than less experienced divers, so as to prevent freeflows and loss of gas as much as possible - within reason, of course. So, the idea that the beginning diver has that "high performance" means "low effort of breathing" isn't a complete synopsis of reality.

90% of what people feel in terms of differences from one regulator to another is based on that technician's personal adjustments... So it's rarely fair to do a side-by-side comparison and make a judgement call on that unless you're willing to attempt to "tune" the regs during testing. Ultimately, a technician could probably get most regs in the market to breathe exactly alike.

...Which shouldn't surprise anyone that's ever worked on their own regs. There aren't many different designs out there... That is, many regulators share parts, even across manufacturers labels or models. Why would any of them breathe any different from one to the other, except for the tuning aspect?

...So should it simply boil down to price? Absolutely not... Predictably, pricier regs have more features and more on-the-fly adjustments available, and are often made of different materials that each have their own advantages. Personally, I'm a fan of sealed first stages (diaphragm) because piston-type regulators have open chambers that expose grease within the first stage to the water... So if you're diving in a silty environment, piston-style regs probably aren't a very good choice. Diaphragm-style first stages also tend to be marketed as "cold water" regs, because of their ability to isolate temperatures in some places and exchange heat in others. Since there's no disadvantage to using a coldwater reg, I use one in all environments. People who use piston-driven first stages tend to believe that their regs perform better (and decades ago, that may have been the case), but today's soft silicone diaphragms rarely impede performance, and keep the goo out of your reg - making it more dependable and likely to work correctly when you need it to.

I'm also a fan of first stages that are solid, one-piece, chrome-over-brass first stages. Titanium regs, touted as being "lighter" (why you'd want "lighter" regs is anyone's guess - underwater, the heavier the better) can not be used in high oxygen environments... So if you're planning on using "nitrox" or "mixed gasses," avoid titanium, which is pricier anyway, and generally thought to not wear as well as brass. Chrome over brass has a long-standing reputation as being durable, corrosion-free, and attractive. Avoid painted, anodized, or "finished" regulators that will quickly show scuffs and scratches with age. Avoid regulators with odd or unusual hose routing (look at the regulator "geared up" and see where all of the hoses fall) that would get in the way and avoid first stages with unnecessary moving parts like turrets. Not only do these turrets require a high-pressure (3000 psi) O-ring that can fail, but always seem to be twisted in exactly the OPPOSITE direction that you want your hoses to go. :) A much better design is a first stage that maintains comfortable hose routing permenantly... Like an Apeks XTX100 or DS4 first stage.

Oh, and please, avoid first stages that complicate an otherwise simple purpose in life with batteries or LCD screens. I'm sure that comment will start a flame war, but clearly, the person who designed that particular first stage was not a diver. :)

Second stage design doesn't vary much from manufacturer to manufacturer with the exception of the Poseidon regs mentioned above. Mostly, it's about looks and ergonomics, although I would encourage you to purchase a second stage that is round so that it can be disassembled underwater without using tools, in case it gets clogged with sand or silt. If it requires tools to fix the problem, your dive ends there. If it doesn't, you may be able to continue the dive if you can fix an issue.

While second stage design doesn't generally vary much in the scuba industry (and as I've said, most of them literally use the same parts), there are some material differences. Regs using stainless steel instead of plastic internal components are going to, predictably, be of higher quality and last longer. To truly compare regulators, ask the salesman to remove the faceplate so that you can see the quality (or lack thereof) of the materials used to make the regulator. Like a book, a regulator can not be judged by it's cover - you must look inside to know for sure whether or not what you're buying is a quality item.

If you're looking for a simple answer to your question - is the Aqualung XX regulator a good one - the answer is, "I would recommend a different brand." You didn't like that answer, however... So you asked the question again. Above is the long answer.

If, after reading the above you go and measure the item according to those standards and like the reg, then yeah, by all means... Get it. :)

SeaJay's above post should be required reading for anyone shopping for a reg. You would never get an honest assessment like that at an LDS.

Something that never gets discussed in the "head-to-head" tests among regs (Rodales, Divernet, etc.) is how the regs were tuned. I would hope that the first stages would be tuned at the midpoint of their recommended adjustment range and that the second stages would all be adjusted to the same cracking pressure -- if these conditions are not achieved, then one could argue that an apples-to-apples comparison is impossible. Potential reg buyers should be looking for regs that breathe well, are simple in design, durable, easy to tune, hold their adjustment, and easy to service. How many reg "tests" assess those parameters?

You will definitely be able to use your old SPG on any new reg. All first stages use a 7/16 inch HP port. Being able to use your old octo with the new first stage will depend on whether it can work with the intermediate pressure set on the new first stage.

The above post is just a small example as to why I feel HONORED that SeaJay has taken me in under his wing!

Hog sounds like a great 2nd stage but I'm not a tech diver and with no reasoanble place to get service I would have to ship off for service. Which means I could probably just buy another one almost as cheap as having it worked on. And if I read the post right it sounds as if the 1st stage has turrets and orings so I would need a different 1st stage.

I better stick to a setup that I can get serviced easy and cheap at LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom