Buying a New Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I'll be going with the new guy.
That's one down.... :D

Seriously though, the other 2 big companies that you mentioned were the only other manufacturers that I was even contemplating when I discovered HOG... It's only after everything that I read here and elsewhere via numerous detailed {GOOGLE} searches that I was able to make any type of a non-regretable decision to buy them.

I would be lieing if I didn't honestly tell you that I was still somewhat leery and concerned between the time I hit the [SUBMIT ORDER] button on Divers Supply website until the UPS man showed up at my door. Hell, I was "almost" afraid to open the box, because nothing this good can really be this cheap right..? WRONG!

The most amazing thing about my choosing to order the HOGs rather than a set of Apeks XTX-50's from that the ScubStore in Spain as initially suggested by SeaJay, is that Chris ("cerich" here on SB) actually found a thread where I had been discussing these on a Reefkeeping website. This is the link that SeaJay posted on the 1st page in this thread. Ironically, I had actually been given incorrect info about the HOG 1st stage by a dealer that shall remain nameless, yet SeaJay and I were pretty sure based upon different photos that I had dug up on the web, that this dealer was actually wrong. One night when Chris did a {GOOGLE} search of his own HOG products, he saw the link to a thread where we were discussing these, and he, THE OWNER OF THE COMPANY, took the time to register an account just to be able to properly answer our questions. That's some serious pre-customer service baby!

Since the above transpired, I've purchased (2) D1-Cold First Stages, (2) Second Stages, and hopefully today the UPS guy will show up with my 300bar Manifold, Stainless Blackplate and #38 Doubles Wing. As soon as I can, I'll be adding another D1-Cold 1st and 2 more Second Stages.

Now I just needs me some sauce to go with all this HOG... Yea, it's that good! :eyebrow:

-Tim

Last edited:
Tim, how 'bout telling Chris to get his tail in here and say something?

Neither Tim nor I are affiliated with Edge/HOG, just in case you're wondering... But apparently Tim's talked with the owner (Chris) several times while shopping HOG regs, and the non-corporate Chris has really made some friends here with some of the simple, concise answers he's given - while offering parts, service, and even classes. I don't think that what he's done is anything super-extraordinary, but let's face it... In an industry ruled by corporate giants with controlling agendas and illegal, unethical practices, Chris/Edge/HOG is a true hero.

It's a bit like watchin' someone step up to the plate to deliver a winning Superbowl tackle. :)

Where are ya, Chris?

EDIT: Great minds think alike, Tim. :D Your post and mine here... Lol!

Now make me a sealed diaphragm, coldwater-capable, nonturreted, solid first stage with pretty routing and a chrome finish, please - that can be used for singles or doubles. If you want, I'll even design it for you. :D
OMG, you're such a whoooooooore! :rofl3:

I think I'll be going with the new guy.

Good choice! Full review after diving them, please! :) Tim and I don't want to be the only ones telling people about these... :)

You're such a whoooooooore! :rofl3:

Hahahahaaa... Can I get him to call it the "DSD-1?" I'd be honored. :D

I actually had printed a whole run of menus for our local burger joint so that they'd offer a "Deep South Divers Burger." :) It totally rocks... :D

I actually had printed a whole run of menus for our local burger joint so that they'd offer a "Deep South Divers Burger." :) It totally rocks... :D
At least it wasn't something like "Patty's Pink Melt", or did they have to make an edit before it went to the printer..? :no: :rofl3:

Chris is aware of this thread, and was quite appreciative of our kind words in regards to his product line. :)

Free reg? :D

Just kidding, of course. Halfway. :D

I'd just be happy to see someone knock ScubaPro and Aqualung down. Tell him that it's possible with a "sealed diaphragm, coldwater-capable, nonturreted, solid first stage with pretty routing and a chrome finish." Am I starting to sound like a broken record? :D

...And a donut wing with a short, rubber inflator hose please, just like an Evolve, but without a little blue "H" and a price control. (Ouch! Yes, he went there!) Black buttons of death rule. :D

Look, I'm not far from Macon - just tell him to call me when he needs a good design. I'm freakin' tired of dealing with the garbage in the marketplace...

You know who else is showing promise? Hollis...

Tim, how 'bout telling Chris to get his tail in here and say something?

Neither Tim nor I are affiliated with Edge/HOG, just in case you're wondering... But apparently Tim's talked with the owner (Chris) several times while shopping HOG regs, and the non-corporate Chris has really made some friends here with some of the simple, concise answers he's given - while offering parts, service, and even classes. I don't think that what he's done is anything super-extraordinary, but let's face it... In an industry ruled by corporate giants with controlling agendas and illegal, unethical practices, Chris/Edge/HOG is a true hero.

It's a bit like watchin' someone step up to the plate to deliver a winning Superbowl tackle. :)

Where are ya, Chris?

EDIT: Great minds think alike, Tim. :D Your post and mine here... Lol!

dude, you are scaring me...:D

Thanks for the compliments. I'm too small, too new and not good enough at hype and shameless self promotion to be doing things the 'normal way", but for sure I'm not a hero!

on the home page of edge gear diving scuba snorkeling manufacturer i wrote about what I have in mind for EDGE and HOG, it's really pretty basic.

By the way to be full open and honest, Tim offered and I took him up on a offer to help me with some web stuff, seems he knows it better than I.

Tell him that it's possible with a "sealed diaphragm, coldwater-capable, nonturreted, solid first stage with pretty routing and a chrome finish."

sounds like the next generation of EDGE EPIC first stage, available this summer, will share service kit with the HOG D1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom