Buying complete new setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

- Bcd:
Thanks for your advice, the Apeks Black ice is a Wing style Bcd, so no jacket. If it fits good I think I'm pretty certain I'll go with that or otherwise a Zeagle Something (Stiletto, Scout)

- Wetsuit:
Well what I'm going to do (as planned anyway): during my AOWC I'm going to try as much as possible different wet/semi-dry suits to find out what's best for me, considering fit and quality/strenght/durability.

- Regulator:
So let's say I'd would be better (in terms of dirty/murky water) to take a diaphragm (mk17/s620Ti/r195) or take a sealed piston like Atomic Z3/T3.

- Fins:
Scubapro Seawing Nova (Probably)

- Computer:
Oceanic OCi / Suunti D6i are both appealing.

Well, I guess time enough to do research, try and test some gear before making decision, altogether most of this gear will last hopefully a decade or longer :)

Do you want advice or should we just confirm that your choice is a good choice?

Apeks black ice is not a wing and a backplate, why not try first a wing and backplate. For less money you can get a wing and backplate.

An apeks ds4 is also a sealed first stage. The apeks set is 50% cheaper.

Why would you buy a small screen lcd computer when you can have a big oled display ?

When you buy a SP high end regulator, there is never a reason to sell it, you keep using it forever :)

When you stop diving you and don't need it anymore. A lot of people who start diving buy everything new after a couple of years they stop diving....

I decided to do servicing my own equipment after finding out the dive shop did use completely wrong o-rings at one side of my manifold.... Before that incident I already had 3 other incidents at 3 other shops. It is easy to buy apeks service kits, it is almost impossible to buy scubapro service kits.

- Regulator:
So let's say I'd would be better (in terms of dirty/murky water) to take a diaphragm (mk17/s620Ti/r195) or take a sealed piston like Atomic Z3/T3.
Apeks DS4 + a pair of XTX50 would last you for many many happy yrs. I bought mine DS4 + TX50 in 1998 and is still using them for rec or tec dive. There is no need to go for the top of the range FSR + XTX200 because you won't notice the difference but with big saving.

DS4 + 2 x ATX40 for 300 Euro suggested by your countryman is very good value. ATX(old model) has smaller body and the difference between 40 and 50 series is the adjusting screw in the 2nd stage. The only slight issue of the package is the DIN set up which could be problematic outside Europe. Yoke(A-clamp) is a lot more common in Asia.

Last edited:
I read somewhere on this forum Fourth Element Proteus 7mm is a really good wetsuite, anybody familiar with these? Also does anybody know why I can't seem to find Fourth Element Proteus 7mm for Man? Are they discontinued?

I have not tried the 7mm but I have the 5mm. Very well made. Very comfortable for my build. (6'1" tall. 220lbs - some of it misplaced in the middle). The zipper functions great and the suit just feels good in the water.

Hi dear,

As some might have read before I recently got my OWC (PADI) in Tenerife and I'm starting next week with my AOWC from SSI here in The Netherlands.

I'm planning on buying my setup near the end of my AOWC, hopefully I get to try a couple of different gears during my AOWC so my choice is a little bit more educated. But for now I set my eye on this setup, mainly due to research on this forum, some other sites/reviews and some talks I had with a couple of local diveshops.

As soon as possible after my AOWC (specialties: deep, navi, nitrox, pbc) I'm leaving for a couple of months to South East Asia (mainly Indonesia because I have family there but maybe also some nearby countries) and after I return I'm planning to continue diving here in The Netherlands/Europe.
For now I don't feel like diving in cold water /drysuit. Although I think I will be diving in fresh water/murky water too in the future (after coming back from Asia).
While doing my OWC in the sea in tenerife I needed 10kg extra lead.

So, here it is:

Apeks Black Ice (500€)
Mk25 evo/ a700 carbon black / r195 (800€) or S600/S620 TI
ScubaPro Seawing Nova (125&)
Wetsuit 7.5mm (don't know yet what kind exactly but I aim for 400/500€ max.)
Computer don't know yet but looking for a not to big watch type I can wear also out of the water (nitrox and AI)

Anybody having some ideas, tips, alternatives for me about gear or just anything else useful for a new diver? Is the reg. Setup overkill for my plans or is the mk17/s620ti/r195 a more suitable setup?

Thanks in advance.

First of all, I was the same as you, I think you're getting a little bit ahead of yourself. Get a few more dives under your belt, minimum I'd say 30, then start to research gear.

All of the things you've mentioned aren't bad, but they are gear pieces that are heavily advertised to new divers, that are a bit gimmicky. If I were you, I would get a backplate wing harness setup or jacket (probably wish you had a wing in the future - whatever works for you), then get good apeks or scubapro regs- as long as it's quality- diaphragm are less prone to freezing and are easier to maintain as they do not let any grit or dirt inside the regulator (freezing very rarely occur) but piston (scubapro) are easier to breathe and can deliver more air at depth. Can't go wrong with either choices.

About the fins, I wouldn't bother with the seawing novas, they might be good, they might not be, I personally think you should get Hollis F1s, (they will be good) they are very heavy fin, great for you especially as you will be diving in a dry suit in the Netherlands, which can get to freezing. With a drysuit you need to have heavy fins, or you will have an unpleasant experience such as air migrating to your legs and finding yourself floating upwards uncontrollably. You can use Hollis f1s for wetsuit and Drysuit and Drysuit diving. Don't make the mistake I did in getting apeks rk3HD fins as they are not heavy enough to use with Drysuit IMHO. I have to get different fins for use wet or dry......

Seen as you will be diving dry in Netherlands, I personally would not get a wetsuit, instead I would save up and spend my money on a Drysuit and equally important Drysuit course.I would rent one every time I go diving until I could actually adford my Drysuit as you will not be using the wetsuit later in diving at all if you live in the Netherlands, save money in the long run, believe me. Don't rush into getting a Drysuit at the same time though,and don't buy one off the shelf, get it custom fitted to you.

About the computer, some people believe you should get a good computer be lazy and let it do the work for you, some people believe in not spending 500€ and getting a depth gauge and timer device such as scubapro 330 timer instead while planning dives properly and calculating your NDL off the tables and write it down in your wet notes/slate. This creates the thinking diver rather than hands off type. Whatever you want, save a couple hundred bucks or be lazy.......

I don't think you should get the apeksblack ice as it has too much lift for a single cylinder which will cause all sorts of drag and trim problems....

Safe Diving

-Frank

I would buy this:

Techduikshop.nl

Techduikshop.nl

Techduikshop.nl

You can try to sent a mail to the shop. Maybe it is possible to test the equipment. (De Beldert)

Wetsuit and computer, I don't know. I'm using an old uwatec tec 2g. It is still working after at least 8 years. But if I should replace it I would buy a perdix. My wetsuit is a old bare wetsuit. But I never use it, I always use my drysuit.
See OP, don't make his mistake, don't bother with a wetsuit, invest in a Drysuit if you live in Netherlands.

Hi there guys,

I don't think I already posted the latest developments on my great yet here.

About my suit, I recently got a wetsuit for free from a friend since he bought himself a new semi-dry suit. It's a 7mm wetsuit which comes together with a 7mm oversuit. The water is still around 19c or more of you stay above 10m, deeper than 10m in most lakes/quarries the new is terrible anyway so my wetsuit+shorty will be sufficient for the next few weeks/months. My friend dived under the ice with this suit+oversuit last year Btw.

As for my fins I bought the Apeks Rk3 which I found great until now because they are close to Buoyancy neutral which makes it possible for me to wear my bottle a little less high since I used to bump the back of my head onto the Reg before in order to have good trim.

I bought the Cressi Newton for both me and my girlfriend which I'm very happy with until now. Very nice looking, thin, easy to use watch I use case everyday watch too.

In the meanwhile I ordered the special offer Apeks single cylinder package which includes the XTX100 1st+2nd stage + Octo, ss bp/30lbs wing, deluxe single piece webbing, surelock weightpockets system and grip lock bands for 1000euro. I'm picking this up this weekend.
I'm still thinking about buying the
Single to Double Cylinder Upgrade*
£250 saving £387!

Upgrade your single cylinder package to a double cylinder package! Features a WTXD-45 wing, an XTX100 first stage with 5th port and a 5th port upgrade kit

For the future. It's available for like 400euro but since I'm not planning to dive with doubles before next year I'm not sure to buy this deal now.

That's all about the gear for right now. I've set my eye on the Apeks kvr1 drysuit for the upcoming winter but I'm still researching about drysuits.

I've currently completed my Perfect Buoyancy and underwater navigation specialties, this weekend I'll be doing my deep dive specialty and the weekend after I'll be dying my nitrox specialty and my 24th dive (now 19, plus 4 deep dives for the deep specialty which leaves only one required dive left to gain the SSI Advanced Open Water certification).

BTW, for everybody who's saying things like you shouldn't do your AOW (SSI) right after your OW blablabla. I can tell everybody that until now the AOW with the Buoyancy and uw navigation are the best things to happen for me and my girlfriend especially.
Since we did our OW in Tenerife the murky waters in the local quarries here in The Netherlands were quite a shock I can tell you, visibility 2m vs 100m is quite a difference.
Without something like a good Uw navigation course diving in The Netherlands isn't very durable.
The AOW with the for most important specialties really boosted or skill and confidence levels. Sure I can understand that if you dive in the sea with >50m water under you and >100m visibility buoyancy + uw. Navigation isn't that big of a deal but for diving in The Netherlands those two a very important /useful.
Ofcourse the deep specialty is a little bit less useful in The Netherlands because <15m diving isn't very exciting here, it's cold and dark,you don't see anything great in afraid..

Thanks for all the advice until now guys and you see all the advice worked since I'm having my bp/w very soon now :wink:

Back
Top Bottom