Buying my first dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michaelbd

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
Im about to buy my first dive computer. Due to my limited budget, i will be buying a second hand one. Right now I have two choices... The Suunto D6 and the Mares Icon HD.
I really can't decide between the two since both have their pros and cons. I wont be planning to just stay as an open water level diver and would like something that will be useful to me as i progress.
If you think that there are other dive computers that fit my needs please let me know.

thanks a bunch!

.....If you think that there are other dive computers that fit my needs please let me know.,,,,
Last time I checked there were more than 100 different model-specific dive computers.
Check out our Dive Computers Research Tool as it might help you

Not sure what your budget is, but the Aerix XR1 NX can be found for around $175. This is my backup computer to my AI and it works great.

Hi all,
Im about to buy my first dive computer. Due to my limited budget, i will be buying a second hand one....
If you think that there are other dive computers that fit my needs please let me know.

thanks a bunch!
Checkout the SubGear XP-10 by Scubapro/Uwatec. It is an excellent feature-rich dive computer. The XP-10 uses the time-tested ZHL8 ADT MB algorithm. It is user friendly & you are able to change the battery.

It is a complete dive computer for all levels of adventure.

The XP-10 fits a limited budget for under $200!

My previous dive computer was a Mares Icon HD, so I can comment a bit on it. It has some good features. It is extremely easy to navigate thought its menus and adjust its settings. The way the information is displayed allows all information to be promptly understood, ie, you are never left wondering what a particular numbers refers to.

There a few drawbacks, though. When hit by direct sunlight (during a shallow portion of the dive, such as while on a safety stop), it can be hard to read the screen. Also, the battery drains quickly, and it is not replaceable, you have to charge it using a proprietary connector. My experience with the connector is not very good, as I would often have problems when trying to charge the computer or connect it to the computer. Lastly, my unit had air integration. When it worked, it was great. However, the transmitter frequently did not synchronize or took a long time to do it. These same problems were also felt by my main dive budy, who bought an Icon HD the same time I did it.

Changing the subject a little, you mention in your post that you would like a computer that can accompany you as you progress beyond OW. If you mean towards AOW and nitrox, many computers can satisfy your needs. However, if you intend to eventually get into technical diving, there are computers much more adequate for it than the ones you mention. The two that receive most praise here at Scubaboard are the Liquivision Xeo and the Shearwater Petrel. I have been diving with a Petrel, and I think that you may want to consider it, specially if technical diving is in your mind. It can be used for recreational dives (provided the diver assumes a little more responsibility), and I think it is a little cheaper than an Icon HD. You sometimes see one (and its predecessor, the Predator) being offered used here on this board.

There are lots of computers that will work great for recreational diving in the $200 range. All you need is time/depth, NDL, N2 loading graph, nitrox capability, and a user changeable battery. Practically everything on the market these days has that stuff. It is nice but hardly crucial to be able to download your dive data.

The best 'investment' in a dive computer for a new diver is, IMO, some basic study into how decompression theory and factors associated with DCS incidence in diving. When you have a good idea of what type of dive behavior tends to result in rec diving DCS, and something about the basic concept of fast/slow compartments and how N2 loading and off-gassing is calculated, you can use your computer mostly for depth/time data, while diving intelligently and controlling your profile. I'm not talking about serious technical diving concepts, just some basics. There's a good chapter in the PADI encyclopedia of recreational diving.

I like my aeris computer, I think the customer service has been excellent and it's lasted a long time, and it's easy to read.

For a basic computer that does everything you need whilst not breaking the bank I'd go for Suunto Zoop - or a D4 if you can afford it. The Zoop you can probably pick up new for the same price as a second hand D6. Also remember buying 2nd hand will not provide you with, or may invalidate, any warranty.

Happy shopping :)

For a limited budget, I'd highly recommend the Subgear XP-10. Easy to operate (even with thick gloves on) and virtually indestructible. My club has 10 of these and with every OW student using one during their OW dives (until they have their own computer ofcourse), they see a lot of water an plenty of not-so-subtle handling. Still, after over 3 years, there hasn't been a failure yet (apart from a dead battery now and then). It'll do air and Nitrox, so you'll have plenty of computer to use while doing recreational dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom