calling out the BP/w-philes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear BP/W-philes,

What makes you tick? I may like, or even love my gear (mmm, spring straps), but in responding to posts on regs I try to not bring up safety sausages, and in responding to posts on computers I try to not mention the type of fin I use. However, to me it seems that BP/W is the cure to whatever diving malady ails me. It will help me achieve better trim (clearly proper weighting through any other means is impossible), get more bottom time (streamlining by other means cannot be achieved), allow me to avoid getting speeding tickets and will lessen the severity of jelly stings. Don't get me wrong - I am sure that it is great for you and works for you. Heck, it might even work for me if I gave it a try. The point is that I travel to many of my dive sites and a nice travel BC suits me just fine.

Is there a "you-drank-the-Kool-Aid" emoticon on SB? You know, a cross between :cheers: and :guillotine: with a very healthy dose of :deadhorse: thrown in? Even a "Call the Question" (cf. Robert's Rules of Order) icon to help focus people on what the OP asked, as opposed to what you are dying to say?

Do you really care? Better question might be What makes a troll tick?

The point is that I travel to many of my dive sites and a nice travel BC suits me just fine.

Not sure what "the point is" that is your point, everyone that doesn't live on a liveaboard "travels" to a dive site to dive.

I've traveled all over the world with a BP/W rig, as far as +20k miles on an individual trip, and I assure you, there isn't a continent or country on the planet to which you are not allowed to bring one.

PS - the trim, streamlining, etc benefits come with you if you bring your BP/W with you.

:crafty:

You've got it wrong.

Because of my BP/W, I'm more anxious to get to my dive sites. Also, because of the improvement to my diving, I'm more excited after diving. So, between the anxious anticipation and excitement, not to mention the less lead I have to pack, I actually now drive faster than before. So, my chances of getting a speeding ticket are higher than before.

See? I said something bad about my BP/W!

Mob action will be required to educate you for this insolence!:D

Bring it on. My DIW buddies (both of them) fight dirty.

Do you really care? Better question might be What makes a troll tick?

Rudebob, go back in my history of posts. I don't troll, and this is not a troll. Do your research.

I anticipate fervent responses from the newly-initiated. But enough is enough. My objection to some but not all BP/W-philes is their inability to read and stick to a topic. Granted, this is the net and opinions are varied and responses are not peer-reviewed, but it seems as though most posts on SB are reasonably oriented towards the OP, however, posts to Forums > Equipment are BC's & Weight Systems seem to all end up like this:

Get a BP/W :deadhorse:

Bring it on. My DIW buddies (both of them) fight dirty.

What does DIR have to do with this topic? I thought you were talking about bp/w fans? :confused:

My objection to some but not all BP/W-philes is their inability to read and stick to a topic.

But your thread title called out everyone, and your OP never qualified it otherwise. Is there any question why this wasn't called out as a troll post?

Not sure what "the point is" that is your point

Reading is a good first step.

...everyone that doesn't live on a liveaboard "travels" to a dive site to dive.

:rofl3: I fly. Carry-on limits just aren't what they used to be.

I've traveled all over the world with a BP/W rig, as far as +20k miles on an individual trip, and I assure you, there isn't a continent or country on the planet to which you are not allowed to bring one.

:clapping: I have traveled a similar distance with my travel BC. Customs officers are often impressed that I choose to rent lead locally rather than hauling stainless steel with me. :clapping:

PS - the trim, streamlining, etc benefits come with you if you bring your BP/W with you.

I aspire to be more like you!

Dear BP/W-philes,

What makes you tick? I may like, or even love my gear (mmm, spring straps), but in responding to posts on regs I try to not bring up safety sausages, and in responding to posts on computers I try to not mention the type of fin I use.

People have been trying to figure out what makes me tick for years. So far, all attempts to answer that have been unsuccessful. :)

As far as why I prefer BPW, it's because in my opinion it's superior to anything else. I started off with a traditional jacket. I moved to a back inflate, which I thought was much better in terms of trim an streamlining. However it lacked stability. When I switched to a BPW it was "Aha! This is what's been missing" for me.

Do I think that most divers would benefit from using a BPW? Yes.
Do I harp on that in every thread and try to convince people to switch? No.

I do bring it up when people ask about choices and experiences, but other than that, you're on your own. What feels right to me may not feel right to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom