Cameras On Sticks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen pro photographers lie all over the reef, move critters around, shove other divers out of the way and generally silt the crap out of an area

Yes, frequently.

I have several 'poles' and rarely use them. I like a tray for good, steady video. Most of the footage I see off of a pole is incredibly unstable and jerky.

As for chasing critters with a camera, that's been around as long as I've been diving. I have seen pro photographers lie all over the reef, move critters around, shove other divers out of the way and generally silt the crap out of an area in pursuit of their perfect shot for decades. You're just noticing this behavior, but it's not new.

The "chairman" is weighing in. I agree that I just noticed this behavior, but it getting common in the remote regions of Indonesia. I thought that chasing critters were restricted to more populated areas of the globe. But the behavior is spreading everywhere. Professional photographers are the least of the problem. Yikes...

Professional photographers are the least of the problem.
Well, I would respectively disagree. Many of our up and coming photographers emulate the professionals they see. Monkey see: monkey do. They want to be just like them, take the same great pictures and that extends to their boorish behavior. So, if you're a dive pro, be that a guide, an instructor or a photographer, then please set the proper example. You have the unique position of teaching by example so pay attention to how you dive.

Well, I would respectively disagree. Many of our up and coming photographers emulate the professionals they see. Monkey see: monkey do. They want to be just like them, take the same great pictures and that extends to their boorish behavior. So, if you're a dive pro, be that a guide, an instructor or a photographer, then please set the proper example. You have the unique position of teaching by example so pay attention to how you dive.
'

Agreed, poor use of language on my part. Just by sheer numbers, everyday divers outnumber professional photographers. Still, I wholeheartedly agree that the professional photographers should set a good example for everyone. While guiding professional photographers, I set limits and ask (really insist) that they treat the underwater environment with respect. Same with dive professionals, we set the example in the water, one the surface, and on the internet.

Unfortunately boorish behavior is not limited to those who use stick or even cameras.

Marigrow:

I doubt it's a big enough issue to drive a lot of your dive destination & operator choice, but if you really want to avoid that, some possibilities:

1.) Get a few people you trust not to do such things and take smaller, '6-pack' dive op. trips with them. I read Quiescence is a well-spoken-of smaller group boat in the Florida Keys.

2.) Hit destinations that lend themselves to independent buddy pairs (e.g.: California, North Carolina) rather than a group dive, or are fine with buddy pairs heading off on their own (not uncommon).

3.) Solo diving is an option. Shore diving Bonaire, a few Caribbean live-aboards if you're solo-cert.d & equipped, and of course for whatever reason the California dive boat scene seems to be less 'controlling' of what divers do (but check individual operator practices).

4.) You could stay at the back of the group, but by the time you get up there, the sea turtle or eagle ray will have fled, so you will miss stuff.

Richard.

I solo mostly, so pissing off the neighbors is not a big problem. I use a PVC pipe (currently 9" down from 24") for the camera and I just turn it on and record the dive as I go. I dive with an eye on not making the video vomitously rocky and have been getting progressively better at it. Most importantly, I am recording the dive and not diving to record.

My guess is that newer divers sometimes fail to make that distinction. I am never going to sell my video to Netflix, I just want to have something to edit down to three minutes that I can share with other divers or non-diver friends on FB.

I think new divers see the video's of bikini clad angels gliding through the water doing the amazing selfies. They then go to the shop and buy the stick thinking they will do the same... Not realizing no one really wants to see them clunking along the bottom, rototilling the sand behind some sea trurtle. The shops sell gear based on the aspiration of looking like Jessica Alba and filming like Cousteau. Hard to tell them not too.....

In my 450 plus dives so far I have been on maybe 14 group led dives total and I have dove in Vancouver, Catalina, Maui, Mexico, St. Thomas, Keys, NC, SC, FL other than Keys, Greece, and some other places. I either dive where buddy pairs can do their own thing or hire a private DM and we do our own thing. Of the 14 group dives, 6 were in MX and we had a guide but a group of only 2 or 3. Of the 4 in the Caymans the group spread out over a large area while the DM floated along so it was not like a group dive (they had separated out the better divers). Other divers were often 15-20 ft away. So I rarely see the bad behavior since I am rarely in a group. With a little care once you have some experience it is possible to dive and do so at your own pace most of the time.

I see part of the problem as simply too many divers. I have a telescopic selfie stick that I use to get the shot that is inside a hole or beneath delicate coral and sponges. I have also used it to record me and my girlfriend on her check-out dive. But I never stick in in anyone's faces or any place where it might do some damage. Often, while on a big dive boat, I have waited in line until everyone else was done so I could get a few seconds of a critter without someone else sticking their camera right in front of mine. The best dives are usually the ones with the fewest people.

I see part of the problem as simply too many divers. I have a telescopic selfie stick that I use to get the shot that is inside a hole or beneath delicate coral and sponges. I have also used it to record me and my girlfriend on her check-out dive. But I never stick in in anyone's faces or any place where it might do some damage. Often, while on a big dive boat, I have waited in line until everyone else was done so I could get a few seconds of a critter without someone else sticking their camera right in front of mine. The best dives are usually the ones with the fewest people.
Exactly. appropriate use is a matter of some consideration and respect. IMHO it is neither considerate or respectful to assume anyone with any specific type of gear is going to be a pia!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom