Cameras On Sticks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of years ago I was on a dive boat with some clown with a Go-Pro on a stick. He zigged. He zagged. He was on top of me. He was under me. He cut in front of me. I finally grabbed his fin and when he turned back to look he was treated on a rude gesture from me. He was a jerk. You can't fix jerks with duct tape.

I have recently started diving again after a hiatus of 20 or so years . In the old days cameras on sticks did not exist. In modern diving times I sometimes have cameras on sticks thrust into my field of vision when I am trying(or was trying) to observe something. In addition, I sometimes see divers chase larger animals, poking their camera-on-a-stick as close as possible to the seemingly fleeing turtle, whale shark, or whatever. What is current scuba etiquette for cameras-on-a-stick? Are there any scuba operators that advertise: "no cameras on sticks"? If there are any, I want to dive with their boat. Thanks.
Tell them to turn their music down and get off your lawn, while you're at it.

I was on a tourist dive once when a guy with a GoPro on his wrist kept sticking his arm in everyone's face to get a diver shot. I gave him a few shots of the middle section of my glove every time he approached me.

I was on a tourist dive once when a guy with a GoPro on his wrist kept sticking his arm in everyone's face to get a diver shot. I gave him a few shots of the middle section of my glove every time he approached me.
I come back to my first post. Even with experienced divers, a stick and GoPro rapidly take over the spatial awareness and brain function.

Get a camera tray instead, just like the chairman says.
I work with whale sharks every day and about 50% of the ppl have sticks and go pros. In two years I have never seen good footage from that set up.
Also, there is no difference in size between your hand and a go pro. Minimum distances in wildlife viewing are there to ensure you do not disturb the animal's behavior.
A good use for it is when you're not allowed to get in the water or it is too dangerous. i.e. whale watching or filming sharks.

I have recently started diving again after a hiatus of 20 or so years . In the old days cameras on sticks did not exist. In modern diving times I sometimes have cameras on sticks thrust into my field of vision when I am trying(or was trying) to observe something. In addition, I sometimes see divers chase larger animals, poking their camera-on-a-stick as close as possible to the seemingly fleeing turtle, whale shark, or whatever. What is current scuba etiquette for cameras-on-a-stick? Are there any scuba operators that advertise: "no cameras on sticks"? If there are any, I want to dive with their boat. Thanks.

I think the GoPro-on-a-stick encourages or exacerbates boorish behavior by divers who are already inclined toward it (whether by actually being jerks, by not having the diving skill to really control themselves, or simply by being oblivious to the issues). I mean, the entire purpose of a pole is to enable one to stick a camera where/when the diver could not as easily position a hand-held camera. If a diver has a GoPro pole, he's going to want to take advantage of its reach. Even a reasonably considerate diver could find himself drawn into doing something he otherwise wouldn't have. I don't own a GoPro pole, but I could envision myself falling into this trap and instantly thinking "I can't believe I just did that!"

I side with the advice to use a tray rather than a pole.

I'm with you on this. You're living in a look-at-me generation now, and personal cameras have invaded a lot of action sports recently. I imagine that these annoying camera people lack etiquette in general and won't be diving long term. Maybe I'm just getting older.

Email the boat staff and express your concerns. Make the case that they're unsafe and harassing marine life.

I spoke with the shop manager about this issue and he agreed that obstruction of another diver's field of view was rude and that harassing marine life with the pole/camera was unacceptable. His conclusion was it is the responsibility of the dive master on the scene to deal with the issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom