Can BP/W be better than this backinflated BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moderators, can we split this forum? How about subsections like:

Traditional BCDs section
Backplate/Wing section

That way posters interested in each could inquire there.

Jarrett:
Moderators, can we split this forum? How about subsections like:

Traditional BCDs section
Backplate/Wing section

That way posters interested in each could inquire there.

This is frivolous. A BP/W is more traditional than a non-BP/W. The OP asked about both in the same sentence. How do you propose to split that up?

Torontonian:
There are a lot of BP/W enthusiats with good experience here. Some may even say the earth will collide with Mars if I don't dive BP/W:eyebrow: , but here is my question.

I'm looking to buy my first BC or BP/W, for warm water single tank vacation/travel recreation diving. A new BP/W system will cost several hundred dollars. Then I saw this DUI backinflate BC on close out sale. It sounds good at $160. Anyone have experience or can comment on this BC? On the other hand, the DUI weight harness is $83. What are the alternatives for adding weights other than using a weight belt, and not paying this $83?

Would the earth explode:D if I don't spend several hundred dollars more to buy a BP/W system to use?

Thanks.

$160 is cheap. a backplate, wing, harness and a pair of cam straps (and maybe an STA) is usually around $400-600. However, if you are the type of person who ultimately wants the best then you may end up buying a bp/w eventually anyway, so in the longrun you may not be saving anything by getting the DUI.

Torontonian:
There are a lot of BP/W enthusiats with good experience here. Some may even say the earth will collide with Mars if I don't dive BP/W:eyebrow: , but here is my question.

I'm looking to buy my first BC or BP/W, for warm water single tank vacation/travel recreation diving. A new BP/W system will cost several hundred dollars. Then I saw this DUI backinflate BC on close out sale. It sounds good at $160. Anyone have experience or can comment on this BC? On the other hand, the DUI weight harness is $83. What are the alternatives for adding weights other than using a weight belt, and not paying this $83?

Would the earth explode:D if I don't spend several hundred dollars more to buy a BP/W system to use?

Thanks.

The OP also asked what is good for warm water recreational vacation diving and whether for $160 it would be worth buying the DUI Back Inflate. Which for the purposes it would be.

Also I'm still confused as to why using a steel BP/Wing in Warm Water Vacation Diving is such a great idea. In the tropics I use 4 pounds of weight which means with a steel backplate I'm going to most likely be overweighted. I also often do not use a wetsuit and therefore have found the Non BP/Wing BC's to be more comfortable as the BP/Wing doesn't have the padding I get from a Non BP/Wing BC.

Obviously the BP/Wing is great if I'm diving d/bls, cold water, drysuit, in a wetsuit etc but this is not necessarily the case here is it.

You could use an AL backplate and stuff it with old magazines for padding.

yes but not one poster has even mentioned an AL backplate. Seem to all be missing the point but ... that seems fairly usual for this type of question.

drew52:
yes but not one poster has even mentioned an AL backplate. Seem to all be missing the point but ... that seems fairly usual for this type of question.

The OP did not mention SS, only BP. What is the point that all are missing?

So Ron, if you're right and it's the same bc as the XS scuba one, it appears that the Wing and Cam straps come off. In that case I'd say buy the BC, if you decide you don't like the harness system, get an al or kydex bp later and use the Wing and Cam straps. At $160 for a 30lb wing and 2 cam straps it's a deal.

Jake

SangP:
Since, you are doing to do warm water single tank VACATION dives, get the lightest easiest to pack BC u can find. A typical bp/w is pretty heavy with all the ss hardware although it packs real nice and dries fast.

Heck for $160 get the darn DUI bc till you've decided to go further into more technical stuff then sell it off.

Be warned that once you try on a BP/W you might not want to use anything else LOL!

SangP

WAITTTT!!!! I just found out bout this review on DUI bcs:
http://www.divernet.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?id=1373&section=2004&action=display&show=
If the explorer is anything like the delta, save yourself some grief and get either a Zeagle Escape or Stiletto or if you are be a adventurous just get yourself a BP/W LOL!
Traditional BCs are very simple and easy. However, for warm water vacation dives, while a traditional BC will work VERY well for you, nothing packs smaller and lighter than an aluminum or kydex backplate with a hog harness and a small wing.

The DUI rigs seems to be an incredible deal, but if you are looking for small and easy to pack, it may not be the best thing out there. If you prefer a more traditional BC, I second the recommendation to look at the two Zeagles mentioned above, but I'm not sure you're going to save much, if any, money compared to a bp/w setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom