Can Light Cord Route

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mannydib:
i have a hard time seeing someone getting killed because their buddy clipped their light with the light cord going over the long hose. i would think there would be enough slack to get the second stage to your buddy.

Why are you trying to pick a fight with the guy on this? He's not picking up the bait.

Just curious.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Why are you trying to pick a fight with the guy on this? He's not picking up the bait.

Just curious.

---
Ken

sorry, not trying to pick a fight with anyone.
his point is valid, having the light cord clipped off over the long hose could make for a messy air share. i just felt that "ending up with a dead buddy" seemed alittle strong.
again, my apologies.

mannydib:
sorry, not trying to pick a fight with anyone.
his point is valid, having the light cord clipped off over the long hose could make for a messy air share. i just felt that "ending up with a dead buddy" seemed alittle strong.
again, my apologies.

Didn't mean to come off like a hardace. I'm a little hyper sensative to this stuff lately.

Thanks, man.

---
Ken

Doc Intrepid:
But Larry also tied on my boltshap in such a way that its neither on the handle nor on the ballast. Instead, he basically ran caveline from one side of the goodman to the other, but ABOVE the lighthead, and then tied the boltsnap off using a bowline on a small bight directly in the center of that line. When snapped off, the lighthead hangs ballast down, but not flashing around like when hung by the handle. Works best of the options I'm aware of.
I use a double ender that is attached to a bungee loop at the back of the ballast to a bungee loop that is on the side of the handle.

This holds the double ender in place, but allows the diver to attach the light on the front part or the rear part of the double ender to the D-ring.

If you attach the clip by the handle to the d-ring, the light is tight to the body (and shines forward). If you clip it using the back, the light hangs down.

Still waiting for a pic of the larry green goodman rig Doc.. :) Please help me and Mo vizualize. This seems like a great technique, and I would love to rig up my can and goodman like this before my cave classes.

Matt

I used to think this way, and run it under, but it's real easy to get lazy or forget to run it back when you want to clip it off to look at something 'for just a second.' Yes, if you do it right every time and never make a mistake, under sounds better. But, the potential cluster is worse by running it under than the minor potential cluster running it over.

Accidentally clipping the light off with the cord routed under can completely prevent deployment of the long hose. Deploying the hose with the cord over just causes a very minor wrapping of the cord/hose, but does not prevent your buddy from getting gas.

ScubaDadMiami:
I sort of have to take the bait on this one. I have tried routing my light cord both ways: over and under the "long hose." I really don't follow the logic behind putting it over the long hose.

You enter the water with the light clipped off. You deploy the light by slipping it under the long hose. If an gas sharing situation comes up, you deploy the long hose, and you don't have a possible high stress situation that will now also involve dealing with the light cord (which you would by having the light cord over the long hose).

Now, you are not going to be an idiot, and take your light and clip it off without remembering to first pass it under the long hose again. And, when you are going to clip off your light at that point, you are not in a high stress situation like you would be in a gas sharing situation. So, you take a second to remember to pass the light back under the long hose before clipping it to the right d-ring.

Doesn't this sound like it makes better sense?

BTW, I am a capitulating Weenie that deploys the light over the long hose like everyone else. However, I keep thinking about it, and I can't buy the logic proposed. I have tried it both ways, and I just don't think it's a problem to deploy the light under the long hose.

Corigan:
Still waiting for a pic of the larry green goodman rig Doc.. :) Please help me and Mo vizualize. This seems like a great technique, and I would love to rig up my can and goodman like this before my cave classes.

Matt
Hey Matt,

Heh, if you're taking your classes with Larry Green, no worries! He'll set your lightheads up like that anyway.

I'm one of those technologically-challenged guys...I don't own a digital camera and haven't posted any pics. But I have some good friends who do, and I'll see if they can't help me get a photo of this connection up shortly.

In the interest of clarity, let me see if I can't walk you through it anyway:

Ah hell, I confused myself trying to explain it. I'll get a pic to you guys. You're basically simply tying the boltsnap to the lighthead itself, leaving a short (1") length of bight between the boltsnap and where the caveline loops twice around the lighthead. The end result is what JeffG was talking about: when horizontal and clipped off, the lighthead hangs beneath you aiming straight ahead. I just didn't like the boltsnap off the handle because when I was trying to do other stuff (dump gas from the wing, inflate, clipping bottles, pulling and gliding, etc.) I didn't like having the boltsnap bouncing around off my hand.

I eliminated the option of hanging the lighthead down because, as I noted, when I was in the caves (Florida, flow) and tried to do that I came close on a number of occasions to knocking my bulb against rock. Now if I want the light to aim down, I simply loop the cord around the back of my neck, which keeps the lighthead up closer to me. You don't move with it this way, its just a stopgap measure for brief periods.

Doc Intrepid:
Now if I want the light to aim down, I simply loop the cord around the back of my neck, which keeps the lighthead up closer to me.

...which potentially fouls the cord and long hose and can prevent deployment of the long hose... :wink:

Yeah, potentially, ...but I've done S-drills with it just to see what happens and generally when you pull the long hose out the light cord just sits there. Thats not to say it couldn't be a PITA, but I figure that for as seldom as I have it hung that way, in a cave I suspect my buddy and I would be able to negotiate getting my long hose to him without major trauma! :D I agree, it is a little stroketastic. But it works...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom