Can Light Cord Route

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick,

It will charge pretty quickly. Barry sends them pretty charged as I recall.

Make extra sure you don't leave it on out of the water. The 21's run hot and you can damage the bulb / mount by leaving it on out of the water for just a few minutes.

Don't forget to attach the battery to the light. I've been out with a couple of guys who forgot to attach the clip for their first dive with a new light. All the excitement you know.

The ballast on the 21 is very long. If you do decide to butt clip it, a double ender is best since you can clip the bungee directly to your D-Ring which reduces the total length the light is hanging down. If my description doesn't make sense, I can post a photo. You do want to be able to see your BT if you butt clip your light off.

I keep my light cord tucked into my waistbelt any time it is clipped off. When I clip my light off for ascent I tuck the cord so it isn't dangling around. This also allows me to "point" the light forward a little bit which is nice since my buddy can see it easier and it is throwing light in front of me instead of under me.

Though it may seem like it is hard to forget, I've trapped my long hose with the light cord by running it under and clipping it off over. I know a few others that have as well. I have to say doing an S-Drill with your long hose caught in there is difficult. After a short time deploying under I got pretty used to it, but have started running the light cord over recently and mostly prefer it, especially with the larger lighthead on the 21. I just have to be a bit more aware of the cord when it is "over" so it doesn't get caught on things on my left side (inflator hose, deco bottle valve).

Mark

If you are forced to route the light cord over the long hose because you can't remember to bring the lighthead back under the long hose to stow it how will you remember to stow your light cord under the long hose when the lighthead is clipped off. If you stow your light cord over the top of your long hose then you will definitely trap the long hose. If you don't stow your light cord then it will be hanging down in a big loop ready to snag stuff.

I see a trend here... creating a new problem trying to solve a problem that shouldn't exist. Do it right in the first place and you won't trap your long hose with the light deployed or stowed.

What you said makes no sense :)

With it routed over you don't need to stow the light cord under the long hose. You just put it in your right hand, and clip it to the right dring....the hose is free at all times.

With it routed under, to clip off the light head, you have to pass it underneath the long hose, to your right hand and clip it off. If you get lazy or forget to pass it back under, the hose is trapped. Seems pretty simple to me.

I think, somehow, we are miscommunicating something.

Uncle Pug:
If you are forced to route the light cord over the long hose because you can't remember to bring the lighthead back under the long hose to stow it how will you remember to stow your light cord under the long hose when the lighthead is clipped off.

I see a trend here... creating a new problem trying to solve a problem that shouldn't exist. Do it right in the first place and you won't trap your long hose with the light deployed or stowed.

Soggy:
1.With it routed over you don't need to stow the light cord under the long hose. You just put it in your right hand, and clip it to the right dring....the hose is free at all times.

2.If you get lazy or forget to pass it back under, the hose is trapped. Seems pretty simple to me.
1. Your free loopy hose is a snag hazard that shouldn't exist... but different strokes for different folks. :D

2. If you get lazy!? I guess you folks do have a different version of DIR.

The hose gets tucked into my waist band when stowed, and you know that. Mine never crosses the long hose, since I tuck it into the RIGHT side, not the LEFT side across my chest. When not stowed it doesn't hang down much more than it does when routed under....the cord is a reasonable length for my body.

Lazy was a poor choice of words. I've seen it forgotten by people (including myself) more than once, especially when doing something like trying to grab that lobster under a rock or tying off the flag to a rock. People get distracted...that's a fact. We can all pretend to be perfect little DIR divers, but we're not and occasionally forget a step. Forgetting that particular step is a real potential danger.

Uncle Pug:
1. Your free loopy hose is a snag hazard that shouldn't exist... but different strokes for different folks. :D

2. If you get lazy!? I guess you folks do have a different version of DIR.

Man, what great info in this thread!

UP, very helpful picture, even if you were taking a nap. :wink:

Haven't I also seen a picture close-up of your light head in your hand? Could you post that?

Sure... this one is doing it the other way... with the cord over the long hose. After donating with the right hand the lighthead and cord need to be unwrapped from the long hose. Not a big deal... just an (unnecessary IMO) extra step.
front_shot_for_SB.JPG

Uncle Pug:
Sure... this one is doing it the other way... with the cord over the long hose. After donating with the right hand the lighthead and cord need to be unwrapped from the long hose. Not a big deal... just an (unnecessary IMO) extra step.
This one is good, too, but not the one I was thinking of. There is a pic of your light head with the little yellow fish-spotter light on top, which shows how you have it and your bolt snap attached..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom