Can Light Cord Route

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation:
I added the UP critter saver mini-light to the handle of both of mine. It doubles as a gauge illuminator in really, really bad vis. If you're Claudette, you leave it on all the time and dive with a big, bright "L" and we all laugh at you.

---
Ken
...and I didn't do that "L-beam" thing a single time in 4.5 hours of Anacapa diving...as far as I know..:11: ..
Sheesh... make an honest new-learner goof-up with new gear generously loaned to me by an excellent new dive-buddy... and it gets immortalized on ScubaBoard :icorolley . You know, you can't pay for entertainment like this!
Thanks to all for the excellent info in this thread.
Claudette

(a fellow mental patient getting ready to pop for the big $ "flashlight")
"L-Beam me up, Scotty"

HBDiveGirl:
...and I didn't do that "L-beam" thing a single time in 4.5 hours of Anacapa diving...as far as I know..:11: ..
(a fellow mental patient getting ready to pop for the big $ "flashlight")
"L-Beam me up, Scotty"

hee hee...

I need to get a new batt for the Buddy light - mine hung in there for the 4.5, I think the BL died at just over 3.5.

That was a great day.

---
Ken

this was a very informative post. I run mine under the long hose and have since I got it several months ago. I remember to run it back under to clip it off but can see the issues with that (all it takes is one lapse to make a minor issue into a major one) When you run it over the hose doesnt the slack just sort of hang below you wanting to snag on something? I have enough slack on mine to extend my left arm out and to also reach my rear dump, whenever my arm is in a normal position though the long hose keeps it from hanging below. Do you just keep stuffing it back in your waistbelt when you dont need the slack?

Without knowing all the details of what you ordered (helios 9?), the batteries won't be up to full capacity, even after charging them right out of the box. Apparently, it takes a few charges/cycles to make them shine, so don't be surprised if your light doesn't last for the rated time during the first few dives.

Rick Inman:
It arrives Friday, so it gets dived Saturday. One in the morning, one at night. Report will follow!

do it easy:
Without knowing all the details of what you ordered (helios 9?), the batteries won't be up to full capacity, even after charging them right out of the box. Apparently, it takes a few charges/cycles to make them shine, so don't be surprised if your light doesn't last for the rated time during the first few dives.
Thanks. Got the Salvo 9 Amp. NIMH 21 Watt HID.
How long should it take the battery to charge?

Honestly, I have no idea, with the big 9AH, it might take awhile (8hrs?, but it depends on the charger and what state the batteries are in). I would charge it as soon as you get it and then charge it again between trips, it that's possible. As long as you're not planning on 4 hour dives, you should be ok. There will probably be some instructions/specs that will give you an idea. After the battery goes through a few cycles and comes up to speed, you'll be able to guage how much juice it has left, just like guaging your gas. You could also get a cheap voltmeter from RadioShack to be sure.

There is no memory with the NIMH batteries, so don't hesitate to top them off between the am/pm trips. As a side note, there is no memory with most NICAD batteries either.

Rick Inman:
Thanks. Got the Salvo 9 Amp. NIMH 21 Watt HID.
How long should it take the battery to charge?

I don't agree with this:
The argument is this...if you run it over, you add a small and non-critical step to a simplify a rare event (gas sharing), but eliminate the possibility of trapping the long hose and preventing deployment when the light is clipped off.
Why make concessions because you might *forget* to run it back under the long hose to stow? The idea that we should compromise our rig because an OOA is a rare event doesn't make good sense IMO. Go ahead and try it both ways and have a buddy surprise you with an OOA and you can make up your own mind which way is best.

I think it is best to route your light cord under your long hose both in use and stowed like this:
Ron-0649.jpg

Uncle Pug:
Go ahead and try it both ways and have a buddy surprise you with an OOA and you can make up your own mind which way is best.

If you look back, I vehemently argued for running the cord under the hose...after trying it both ways and really thinking the problem through, I have now seen the light (sorry, I'm feeling punny today). The potential failure with under is that you are unable to donate gas. There is no real failure point with over and all you have to do is switch hands with the light head after donating.

We do routinely surprise each other with OOAs during our training dives...it's not a big deal to donate with it over.

The potential failure with under is that you are unable to donate gas.
What you just typed doesn't make sense. With the light cord under the long hose there is no potential failure, i.e. being unable to donate gas.

If you do not reroute the cord under the long hose every single time you clip it off, you trap the long hose in the light cord.

Either way, it doesn't really matter...as long as you can manage the cord, that's what's important, but I see the risk of forgetting to run the head back under the hose when clipping off to be greater than adding a non-critical step to an air share and, according to JJ at least, GUE agrees.

Uncle Pug:
What you just typed doesn't make sense. With the light cord under the long hose there is no potential failure, i.e. being unable to donate gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom