Can we rely only in a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a comp., but not AI. I'm cheap and didn't want to fork over the extra $$. Reading the stories of wireless AI comps loosing communications, I think I'd avoid wireless.

As far as back-ups, before a dive I write the max bottom times for my planned depth and the next two depths on my slate, and start my stop watch when I descend. That way if my comp does go out, I can effectively 'fall back to the tables' w/o having to figure the dive at depth. I don't carry my tables because even at fairly shallow depths your brain operates slower and is less reliable. So I figure it before the dive and write it down.

If I did any dives that were not abortable at all stages, I might consider redundancy.

WRT to the above comment about the 'blue screen of death' on PCs, just avoid any dive computer that uses a Windows operating system ;^)

Dive computers are designed much better and are much more reliable than your PC. I work for a company that's been designing underwater electronic systems since the '40s. We just pulled up a system that had been operating unattended for six years. No problems.

Analog SPG's fail just like AI computers. If you choose the computer, at least get one with a proven track record. The bottom line, in spite of some divers dislike for new or different technologies, is that every aspect of scuba is dependant on a man made device that will eventually fail.

yknot:
Analog SPG's fail just like AI computers.
I'd love to see the figures for that!

They can stick, break, gum up, come out of calibration, etc...

Nothing is fool proof, fools are just too ingenious.

So take a back up for everything, A SPG may be the only gauge on your tank, but at least be mentally prepared if it goes, better yet dive with a buddy, and practice your OOA drills.

I have an Aeris Elite. It will probably never fail. However I do have a set of mini gauges as back-up.

I don't like probably when its my butt on the line.

I have a uwatec smart com. It's the only spg I use when diving. I love it because it will work out my SAC rate automatically and accurately :)

Am I worried about it dieing on me on a dive? Not really. Mechanical SPG's die too. And as far as the N2 loading and O2 exposure in case the computer dies, I also wear another computer (diverite Nitek 3), a bottom timer (uwatec d-timer) and run my dive profile from tables.

In fact, my slate is my primary and both computers are backups. I will run the deco times on the slate, then if there is time I will clear the smart com (the nitek has usually cleared by this point, because It keeps track of accelerated deco)

But I do only carry one spg. And it's a computer.

DeepTrip:
I won't feel comfortable diving w/o analog SPG. In fact..... I think I will never use AI.

And as said by downunderjenn, know your breathing rate. I seldom watch my SPG for the first 30 minutes of a dive, because I know that in average, I would still have 100 bar after 30 minutes.

I find that really interesting. You won't trust AI but you will trust that you are the only thing draining your tank. What happens if one of your 2nd stage hoses springs a slow leak near the first stage or if your octo is bubbling and you don't notice?

What does it matter if you have an AI or analog if you don't look at it anyway?

ZenSquirrel:
I find that really interesting. You won't trust AI but you will trust that you are the only thing draining your tank. What happens if one of your 2nd stage hoses springs a slow leak near the first stage or if your octo is bubbling and you don't notice?

What does it matter if you have an AI or analog if you don't look at it anyway?

ZenSquirrel, I look at it from time to time, especially after 30 minutes of dive. But having know your Average Air Consumption Rate will make you more confidence in case of Gauge Failure.

The reason I didn't trust AI is the electronic. I believe that for pressure gauge, electronic will have bigger chance to fail, rather than analog. I might consider Console AI Comp, but absolutely NOT wireless one.

I have experience with bubbling octo, where my aair consumption goes out of the norm. Since the bubbling is small, me and my buddy decide to continue the dive until the agreed ascent pressure, or dive time, whichever come first.

Benny

ShakaZulu:
50 000 000 DIR dewds (SIC).... can't be wrong, use an external analog SPG. It's all about safety my friend.

Fifty MILLLION DIR divers??? I suggest you rethink your number of zeroes. There might, and I say might, be 50,000 in the world.

You are, however, right about one thing. It is: "All about safety, my friend."

DeepTrip:
The reason I didn't trust AI is the electronic. I believe that for pressure gauge, electronic will have bigger chance to fail, rather than analog. I might consider Console AI Comp, but absolutely NOT wireless one.
Benny

Fair enough. I'm mostly curious about the perception that AI computers (espically wireless AI) are not to be trusted. I've seen a lot of post from people that won't trust an AI or wireless AI any further than they could throw their double 125's.

I'm wondering if there is any hard data to support the opinion that digital SPG's fail more often than analog SPG's. It is a fact of scuba diving that the majority demographic is middle age males who supposedly don't trust technology. Is this just more distrust of "computers"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom