Can you fill any dive computer with silicone oil?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, I had a Uwatec Aladin pro dive computer which is filled with silicone oil, and now I have a Suunto D4i which is also getting old and I don't really have access to cheap pressure testing when changing the battery. I was thinking of just filling it up with silicone for extra safety, and apart from some bad contact from the battery, I don't see any reasons why it shouldn't work. Does anyone know if it is possible to do this or not, maybe it affects the pressure sensor differently? Thanks for any input.
I use liquid paraffin instead of silicon oil which is expensive.
If the O-ring is not sealed then water will get in.
I have seen water inside an Aladin because the covering diaphragm was puncture. The owner was using sharp object poking those 4 small openings at the back of it.
Changing battery on any new/old computer has risk. Age has nothing to do with it.

For reference, non-conductive oil (mineral, silicone, etc) filling selected electronics and electrical systems is common practice in deep submersibles and instruments packages. In most systems, the oil is slightly pressurized in order to prevent water intrusion and to detect leaks (oil leaks out).

There are (were?) very clever oil-filled electrical harnesses using clear tubing around the wires and the mating connectors had a push-to-open valve that flooded the mated connector with oil. Oil filled housings can save tremendous weight on very deep systems. You don't see them employed that much in shallow applications unless very long-term reliability is required.

MicroLubrol 200 Fluid Pure Silicone Oil Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) 50 centistokes (CST) Viscosity, 4oz Bottle Amazon.com

Found this, I’m trying it with an ALADIN pro, I believe this is the right kind of fill oil. Any opinions will be appreciated.

This could work but overall it sounds like a great way to get rid of a D4.

it’s probably unnecessary

OP was last seen over a year ago...

I just finished adding Canola oil to my Teric. Let you know how it works out soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom